cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

... I met a file that wasn't there. It isn't there again 2da

N/A

Thanks for the brilliant reply. SO, I may be thick but not insane!

This may also solve another problem: the fact that I don't seem to be able to get my php working, even though I've activated it. So, how do the two spaces work? Amazingly, I've had no problem getting dump html to work. (I understand why now) But how do I reference my php in the cgi space from my home site?
4 REPLIES
N/A

I guess I'm a little slow but I'm having great difficulty working out where my files are going.

I have a .co.uk site as well as the default one, but both have the root directory in /htdocs/. When I use cgi.plus.net I can see some files I put there about a month ago. When I use an ftp client, I seem to see different files (both the same files with different dates and additional files - in particular, the ftp site has an Images directory [rather than images] that I created by mistake, but this directory doesn't exist in cgi.plus.net.

Either the two utilities are going to different places or the ftp is using rights that I can't even see in cgi (although I own the directories). I was originally using ftp.plus.net. I thought I'd cracked it when I found out about ftp2.plus.net, but it's just the same.

I'm actually using Dreamweaver, which does the ftp-ing. When I test a link to a seconf page, it gives me a 404 error. When I look in the cgi ssh client, sure enough, it isn't there. When I look at the remote site using dreamweaver or an ftp client, I can see it.

Can anyone explain to me what's going on.
N/A

cgi.plus.net & ftp/ftp2.plusnet are two totaly different servers.

The first is used to upload to the CGI server, whilst ftp.ftp2 is used for the homepages server.

So it is quite right that you don't see the files you uploaded to cgi.plus.net when looking at ftp.plus.net
Community Veteran

Plusnet have 2 completely separate webservers and each has it's own webspace. One for www (homepages) and one for cgi scripts.

www.username.plus.com and ftp.plus.net / ftp2.plus.net and your .co.uk domain all point to your www webspace.

cgi.username.plus.com and cgi.plus.net (which can be used for FTP connections) point to your cgi webspace.
N/A

I guess most people assume it's obvious but it really wasn't. Nor was it stated anywhere obvious. (Hunting on the CGI usernet gave the answer).

Just in case anyone else is asking the same question, in your link (or whatever), the reference is:

http://cgi.<your_user_name>.plus.com/<directory_path>/filename

So, if you reference a file called "mycgi.php" in the directory "php_scripts", and your username is xyalpha, then:

http://cgi.xyalpha.plus.com/php_scripts/mycgi.php

(Note the "com", not "net" )