cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Can't Receive Email From My Web Host

N/A

Hi

I have just signed up with Streamline.net for web/domain hosting and for some reason I cannot download mail from my new POP3 account on my home machines. I have tried 3 different machines and an iPaq and they all claim that the username or password is wrong - but they aren't.

The problem isn't caused by Streamline because my iPaq connection works fine when attached to my office network and I can link to my account at work using Outlook as well with no problem.

So the problem seems to be my home network somewhere. I have never had problems connecting to the Plus Net POP3 email. Does the fact that I am now using a different company make a difference? Could my router be blocking the ports for my new email server without affecting Plus Net's?

My router is a Solwise SAR110 and I did stealth the router a few years ago. I was wondering if that might be the cause of the problem?

I have no firewall software running on any of the machines so can anybody offer any advice/experience of this?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Streamline.net have a webmail which should work ok. Normally no isp will let you send mail if you are not logged onto their network as a antispam measure. Normally they will let you download mail ok.

If you are using outlook its normally in the advanced panel of the accounts setting were they have a tick box for the server requires a secure connection SSL. If this option is ticked it wont work. The exact menu differs on the version of out look but 90% of the time thats the problem
N/A

Sending mail isn't a problem, its just recieving and its only on my home machines, every other machine I've tried works fine, as does the webmail on my machines. SSL is not switched on.

I have tried to Telnet to the mail server from home and it connects but then rejects the password.

I have also found that its not just the email either the website itself can't be view from my home machines but can from my office and elsewhere. At home I get a 404 File Note found message which is strange because it looks like it is being directed somewhere but not the right place!?!

I leave Plus Net for BT today so I'm waiting to see if changing all the network stuff solves the problem. I've never come across anything like this before.
N/A

What you are saying sound like a spyware/malware type of problem or something strange in the host file. Have you check your host file and tested fro spyware?
N/A

I changed over to BT Internet yesterday and the problem disappeared, so it must have been something to do with my old Router but what is anybody's guess! :?