Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hungry Firefox - huh?

jabb0
Grafter

Hungry Firefox - huh?

hey folks,

was watchin TV there for about 2 hours, compo was lyin in screensaver mode, and when i moved me mouse, my usually quite fast PC was going like a tortoise in reverse.

ctrl + alt + del revealed that firefox was eating 600+ MB of my RAM.

i did have 3 tabs open, but i have never and i mean never seen firefox get as hungry as this.

any ideas on how to tame the beast?
or
what has driven it wild?

cheers
jabb0

PS like i mean come 600+MB this would cripple most computers, my lil honey took a good minute to get back to normal - im worried shes sick Sad
5 REPLIES
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Re: Hungry Firefox - huh?

hey folks,

was watchin TV there for about 2 hours, compo was lyin in screensaver mode, and when i moved me mouse, my usually quite fast PC was going like a tortoise in reverse.

ctrl + alt + del revealed that firefox was eating 600+ MB of my RAM.

i did have 3 tabs open, but i have never and i mean never seen firefox get as hungry as this.

any ideas on how to tame the beast?
or
what has driven it wild?

cheers
jabb0

PS like i mean come 600+MB this would cripple most computers, my lil honey took a good minute to get back to normal - im worried shes sick Sad

i didnt think it took up as much ram as I.E to be honest :shock:
jabb0
Grafter

Hungry Firefox - huh?

ur shocked - the ony things that ever did this to my compo is games man.

i had this page lying open at the time
http://www.radiotimes.com/

perhaps if someone could open this page and let it sit for a while to see if it eats thier ram, i would rally appreciate it.

methinks its this page that done the damage.

cheeers
Cheesy
vic_newey
Grafter

Hungry Firefox - huh?

My firefox shows 25 meg whilst browsing, loading that page you list adds another 7 so 32 mb in total , methinks something is amiss with your PC
N/A

Hungry Firefox - huh?

Firefox caches all the pages you have visited in a session (until you close the browser) so that the "back" button works faster (it has been shown that most users browse back to a site they just visted, more than going to new ones)

also it kinda leaks so its always a good idea to close it down when your not using it.

oh and get more ram Tongue
jabb0
Grafter

Hungry Firefox - huh?

yeah i thought that page might be constantly eating more and more ram - it dont seem to be a major problem just thought it as very strange indeed

cheers guys