cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hundreds of failed email notices, that I did not send.

cossey
Grafter

I am currently receiving hundreds of 'automated' replies from mail servers stating that an email could not be delivered to addresses I know nothing of and they are sending to 'users' I don't have. (I have mydomain.co.uk registered and the mails are coming to ldlwe@mydomain.co.uk, ebzhiyh@mydomain.co.uk etc etc). The originating emails had subjects like "Low prices" and "Your source for Med s" etc...

Is there anything I can do to stop these emails?

Cheers

Graham
7 REPLIES
N/A

Do you have the option to bounce all mail that is not sent to a real email address on the domain?
Community Veteran

You should never bounce email. You are just adding to the spamfest in doing so.

They are most likely emails with a spoofed email address (i.e. yours) sent to other people by a spammer. There is nothing you can do about it but delete them. Do not attempt to send them back to the sender as they are an innocent party just like you and you will just be adding to the problem.
cossey
Grafter

I would not 'bounce' them as they themselves are already bounced emails.

Maybe I'll simply cancel the domain subscription with PN as it's not really doing much other than receiving (junk) email...

Damned annoying, as if 'normal' spam wasn't bad enough, I'm now getting notifications of their failures Evil

Graham
Community Veteran

One possible solution is to create some named mailboxes via the Email settings link (inlcuding postmaster@username.plus.com) and then get PlusNet to blockhole (delete) any emails that don't go to your named mailboxes. You can request this via contact us ticket but create your mailboxes first.

i.e. for every domain mailbox that is valid, create a corresponding plusnet mailbox + the postmaster mailbox then ask Plusnet to dump the rest. This will mean you have to login with username+mailbox name for each mailbox you want to access rather than they all be included in you default mailbox.
Community Veteran

Yep the above is the solution that I use ( but blackhole not blockhole :lol: ) and it has reulted in virtualy zero spam arriving to my named mail boxes.
cossey
Grafter

Thanks for the advice, I'll consider doing as you suggest if indeed I decide to keep the affected domain and the problem persists.

Graham.
N/A

What is happening is that someone is forging your domain as the From: address on the original mails. The receiving system is bouncing it to the Forged address. Most ISP's don't bounce mail sent to non existing addresses any more. The main reason is that the e-mail rules are that mail should only be rejected during the SMTP Stage and not accepted first, hence the real sender gets the reject.

Usually a spammer only uses the forged address for a short time and then moves onto another. I have had some sucess by identifying the actual IP address that the mail is sent from and pointing out to the ISP responsible that forgery is a crime in most countries. Have a look at samspade it is a useful tool for doing the detective work. Spamcop.net can also help.