cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up a web cam

N/A

How to set up a web cam

Hello All,

Due to a recent addition of a daughter to my family, I would like to set up a web cam from my PC to allow my family to speak to and see her.

I have a video camera that will also be a web cam.

Does anyone know of any good guides that I can follow to set this up.

Cheers

Andy
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

How to set up a web cam

You can use MSN version 6.1 which will allow you to have an audio / webcam link to the other party.
Getting the audio bit to work can be a pain if you are using a router due to the Network Address Translation but having them seeing pictures from the camera should work fine.
I use the set up here and I have just had a video chat with a friend this morning.

Download the software from the MSN site.
N/A

How to set up a web cam

I use MSN all the time with my DV cam. Download it here.

The video works through the HTTP port so no extra config needed for your router. Haven't tried sound.....
Community Veteran

How to set up a web cam

Yahoo! messenger also has voice and webcam capabilities if you don't want to install MSN messenger. With whatever you decide, all your relatives/friends must be running it as well - not everyone may be prepared to install MSN messanger due to all the security issues that have been associated with it.
N/A

How to set up a web cam

not everyone may be prepared to install MSN messanger due to all the security issues

There are 'security issues' in all IM clients but most boil down to user naivety.
If you have some friends on Yahoo and some on AOL, etc there is a prorgam that will let you connect to them all called Trillian
N/A

How to set up a web cam

Thanks guys
I have a netgear router firewall that does use NAT. I shall give it a go, is there anything I should know or do, or is it simply a matter of connecting and away I go!!
Community Veteran

How to set up a web cam

As I posted above.
You will probably find that the webcam works fine without having to do anything but with a router I have found that to get sound is a major challenge and I had to arrange the router to forward the ports needed to my PC.
This was using MSN version 6.1
N/A

How to set up a web cam

Eyeball Chat works fine throught my Linksys BEFSR81, sound and vision, with no port forwarding necessary. I believe it's compatible with MSN and Yahoo, too.

My two cents......use two tin cans and a piece of string before you use MSN.

Cheesy
N/A

How to set up a web cam

Hi zeronine, I've been trying to get eyeball to work with my origo asr-8400 for ages. I Set up ports within the routers config, using the patch to 'fix' port from eyeball, however it refuses to connect, works fine on dialup. Does the router you have support UPNP, the one I've got doesn't have this but in the origo forums there is some talk of it being available at some point.
Chris
N/A

How to set up a web cam

Yes it has uPnP, but I've disabled it on my router and pc's. I didn't even think about Eyeball when I changed from my Linux firewall to my Linksys. And then realised it was working without any adjustments.

Cheesy