cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to send fax on broadband

N/A

hi, i have a boradband connection and i want to be able to send fax to fax machines and recieve faxes from fax machines at my pc without having to buy a fax machine is that possible if yes can u pls tell me how

thanks
sundeep
7 REPLIES
zpeterk
Grafter

you can recieve faxes with the fax to email service on the portal but to send you will have to use an analog modem
N/A

help

is thier ne documents on web i can read to complete this steps as im not sure to this up
Community Veteran

Most dialup modems (by that I mean 56K modems) come with software to send and receive faxes, and if it does not you can buy the software necessary as long as the modem actually supports FAX connections.

You can have a dialup modem and ADSL modem connected to your PC at the same time and the fax software can usually be configured to use the dialup modem.
N/A

There is the fax2email service for receiving faxes (using an 0870 number). You can also send faxes using several services on the internet. A free one (with little or no assistance/support) is www.tpc.int.

This will only work to certain code areas and, for the UK, Demon who seem to be their local node, will only fax to 'normal' numbers - not higher rate numbers that generate revenue for the holder (such as 0870 and I guess 0845), so no using it to keep the fax2email service 'alive' once every 3 months. It works fine if all you want is text and can put up with Demon's advert on the cover page (well, it is free!).

A further problem seems to be that however I send emails to the email version of tpc.int, it rejects them as having no message-id. If I use work, or send from mail2web using my PlusNet account, all is fine (mail2web bungs its own message-id on) but whether I use Outlook-smtp through PlusNet, or the (ssslllooowww) webmail tpc.int rejects the email as not having a message-id. I have raised this through support, but they say all is right with their headers. IANAE, but it seems odd that only mails sent from PlusNet direct have this problem.

Anyway - time to raise this in a separate thread.

HTH (at least the first 2 paras).

Stuart
N/A

hi

thanks for all dat, wot if i want to just recieve fax, do i have to do the same things like modem setup the software and that
Community Veteran

To just receive, sign up for plusnets fax2email service - it's free.
N/A

If you just want to receive - use the fax2email service you get with Plus (as long as you get at least 1 fax per 3 months). With this you get an 0870 number for receiving faxes (from which the company involved makes a small amount of money: lots of small bits = enough money Cool ). This fax is received as a TIFF ( a standard multipage picture) file and emailed to the address you specify. Handy - you can pick up faxes wherever you have access to your email.

To set it up, log in to PlusNet.
In the top left, choose "Email settings"
Choose Fax2email
Fill in the obvious bits

HTH

Stuart