cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of the worm W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen

N/A

hi, i have tried everything the symantec website tells me to do, to get rid of this worm but im not sure if it has gone or not. I was wondering if anyone knows of any removal tools that eliminates this worm, because the one on the symantec website cant remove this version of the worm?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Was it this removal tool that you tried?

What makes you think it has not removed it?
N/A

well i have tried getting rid of it once but the same warning came up with the same virus a few days later so im not sure if its gone.
Community Veteran

Did it give a location for the infected file and can you post it.

If your running WinMe or XP, it could be in the system restore section of your disk , in which case, symantec can't remove it. You would need to disable system restore then re-enable it.
N/A

it was called explored.exe in the system32 file on windows xp. but when i looked in the system32 file i couldnt find it. i have already disabled system restore and then re enabled it, do you think that has done the trick?
Community Veteran

I guess only another full virus scan will tell. Try rebooting and see if that virus file appears again. If so it may still be around. Although if it's in system32, it's not related to system restore as they are kept in the system volume information folders that you cannot access.
N/A

Unfortunately, McAfee "stinger" doesn't seem to clean this virus. However, it's still worth a download and a run.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
McAfee also say it could be attached to svchost.exe, which will have to be deleted and replaced in "save mode". However, the one attached to svchost is one of 1350 variants, with other variants attaching themselves to a whole host of other OS files. NAV may not detect all variants, leaving one on your system that can then reinfect other files.
Try a online scan with Trend Housecall and see what that comes up with.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
N/A

cheers ill give that a try
N/A

How to Get Rid of Spyware

Use Ad-Aware in conjunction with SpyBot and HijackThis. These always feature as solutions from the experts at SpywareInfo.com
This, along with ditching Microsoft's IE for FireFox browser has helped clean my home PCs of some horrible Spyware!