cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to be Found by Search engines

N/A

Does anyone know what else to do to get found by the search engines?

I have registered with google, but i still cant find my site there a few weeks later. I know it takes up to 4 weeks with google but even after that i have seen nothing?

This is what i have done so far: -
- no frames - JavaScript loads teh actual page with the frames as soon as the site is hit.
- meta tag keywords
-meta tag description

Also which other large engines would be useful to register with.

Could it be possible that we cant be found if Plus Net is hosting us --- somehow?

It is just a temp site but here it is anyway www.cleanconcepts.co.uk
12 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

I wonder if its the JavaScript bit thats letting you down - google can spider sites hosted on plus.net as my one works.
N/A

Google is no longer doing the 'deep' searches which picked up your files down to the third layer. Instead it now has continual updating which is much more superficial (deep searches happened about monthly). So you will just have to wait and see. With a new site you have to reckon on about six months before getting established on the search engines. Four weeks hardly scrapes the ice.
Community Veteran

Another way to get your site noticed is to have links to it from other sites that are already logged with the engines.
Also have receporical links back to these other sites.
N/A

Thanks for the advice.

What about code that makes sure that your site doesnt get over looked?

Does anyone know which engines to register with that cover a few search engines? I know that alot of the search enines are run off the same data sources but which ones and how do i register?
N/A

Parts of Google (the Directory tab) and parts of Lycos are run off of the ODP.

Visit the ODP HERE

THIS is a list of all the sites using data from the ODP.

Your site would be listed on all of them.

There are many hundreds more sites using that data, however, most are either not listed or have not yet been found.
N/A

Is there any way of checking whether your registration with google has actually work or do you just have to wait for them?
N/A

There is no way to check.

Your address is placed the many other tens of thousands submitted within the last spider period.

not just has the spider got to visit them, but they also have to visit the many millions of sites allready submitted to check for changes.
N/A

The ODP is hopeless for getting onto nowadays. I requested changes of URL eight months ago and am still waiting. Some people have been waiting for two years. Register by all means but their editors are hopeless. I would like to be on http://www.alexa.com but no chance.

The only search engine that picks up in a reasonable time seems to be Google. The others want hard cash or make you wait an eternity. For Google you need people to link to you (preferably with high Page Ranks) to get noticed quickly. But it should only take a month or two for a spider to find you.

For the relations of the Search Engines I found a diagram at http://www.bruceclay.com

if you can find it there.
N/A

If you aint happy with the ODP service, then become a editor yourself.

It's a rough start, but you find it OK once you have your feet into the tools provided.

The problem with the ODP is that they don't have enough editors and it will truly depend what catagory you want your site in.

Editors are chosen based on there hobies and how well versed ont he subject they are.
N/A

The gossip seems to be that people applying to be editors never hear another word nowadays.
N/A

I should just add that looking at the Search Engine Relationships Chart in http://www.bruceclay.com at three month intervals it is apparent that dmoz (ODP) is getting used more and more by the Search Engines so it is advisable to register vital URLs in the hope of inclusion. Offhand I remember that you can apply from http://www.alexa.com
N/A

thanks for all the help.