cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How secure is Outlook 97

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

How secure is Outlook 97

This may seem a silly question but I am starting to have problems sorting and storing my e-mails using Outlook Express and I presently have Office 97 Pro on my computer.
I am very happy that Outlook 97 will do all I want but if I change my default mail handler from Outlook Express to Outlook 97 will my security be compromised due to lack of security upgrades from Microsoft.
10 REPLIES
N/A

How secure is Outlook 97

Hi Jim,

As the product is no longer supported by MS, I would have to say yes, it wont be as secure or as well patched as more recent versions of Outlook.

What the vulnerabilities would be I couldnt answer.

It may be worth looking at some of the alternative clients which may provide better functionality than OE.

Having said that, if you can splash out on a basic edition of MS Office and go for Outlook 2003 you'll find that sweet.
Community Veteran

How secure is Outlook 97

Are you using a single email account or do you have multiple accounts in OE? The problem being O97 does not easily support multiple mailboxes although I think it can (albeit downloaded into a single mailbox) with the SR1 or 2b patch which you should install - available here.

The patch contains all the latest security fixes but I believe there were a few more issued after the 2b patch.

Being an older unsupport version there may well be security issues but keeping windows up to date with patches should reduce the likelyhood of any problems occuring.
Community Veteran

How secure is Outlook 97

Having said that, if you can splash out on a basic edition of MS Office and go for Outlook 2003 you'll find that sweet.
Mark - at £170 minimum it would need to be
Thanks Peter - oddly enough I already have Outlook 97 on my PC fully patched as I use it to access a lot of pst files I still have from when I used it in the office and as I only have one user on this PC multiple accounts won't be a problem.
I am still trawling through various sources to identify the risks and up to now the two biggest I have found are Automatic Script Startup and IFrame vulnerability which are both blocked by KIS6 (beta) so I may be reasonably safe.
N/A

How secure is Outlook 97

£170 is a rip off. Still expensive but £130 is closer to the mark Smiley

Linky
Community Veteran

How secure is Outlook 97

Yes but those are OEM prices and I don't need any more hardware. Typical rider is
Can only be sold together with a new PC / Laptop PC
Community Veteran

How secure is Outlook 97

A PC mains power cable is classed as valid 'hardware' for OEM software purchases. You don't have to buy a PC.
Community Veteran

How secure is Outlook 97

Fair comment Peter.
Checking some more of the links I found that I could get it without buying anything.
Interesting as that breaks Microsoft OEM rules
N/A

How secure is Outlook 97

Indeed. in the past I've seen retailers bundling a £1.99 generic ps2 mouse with oem software to get round the rules. Its not hard to do.

The onlky bit of MS I really hate is the overly complicated licensing rules.

But if you can get it for less than £130, it'll be money well spent.
Community Veteran

How secure is Outlook 97

Looks like I can get Outlook 2003 for about £75 and I can't see much point in upgrading Word and Excel given the degree of sophistication (or rather the complete lack of it) I use with these programs. in fact my biggest problem after install is getting rid of all the fancy popups and autoformat assistance that Microsoft thinks I need.
Probably a difficult question but is there any reason why Outlook 2003 will have problems when the rest of the office suite is 97. I am thinking about the multiplicity of shared files which Office installs.

EDIT - Just found on Amazon the same thing for about £30 incl postage etc.
Any thoughts
CJC1942
Grafter

How secure is Outlook 97

Hi Jim

Why not ask me about it next time your over here.LOL

Ces