cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many firewalls are enough?

N/A

My Belkin wireless ADSL router has a built -in firewall which I have enabled. Is this sufficient to keep the miscreants out or do I need a software firewall also? Would 2 firewalls interfeer with eachother as has been suggested to me?

Regards

Adam
2 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Any hardware firewall should be backed up by a software firewall running on all connected PC's.

You should not experience conflicts between say Zone Alarm and any hardware based firewall.

Running two software firewalls on a single PC may cause conflicts tho.

Regards

Mark
Community Veteran

2 lines of defence is always better than one and 3 is better still. I run both a hardware firewall (in my router) and a linux firewall between my systems and the router and also have a software firewall running on all my PCs.

I always recommend a software firewall as it stops apps trying to phone home, which often even hardware firewalls are unable to stop as most are configured for blocking incoming connection attempts.

Question: is your hardware firewall setup to block both incoming and outgoing connection attempts on ports that you do not use? Do you understand what this actually means? f the answer to either is no then another line of defence is needed.

Once they are all configured correctly they should not cause any issues.