cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long for DNS records to be 'set' after update?

N/A

Hi all,

After being overwhelmed with 55k per sec downloads this evening after getting online with my today-activated broadband within hmm, 20 minutes of starting the setup, I've registered the .co.uk domain I get for the £1 extra per month with my account (ADSL Home). I've setup the A record via the PlusNet portal to point to my static IP and I was wondering how long it takes for this to be set/available to use?

Ta for any response,

nry
7 REPLIES
N/A

Hmm, just read a post below which had a topic that appeared un-related to my question but it was: takes 24-48 hours for the DNS to be updated once I've made a change....

Thanks for reading anyhow!

nry
Community Veteran

A minor update is done every 4 hours with a major one at 4am IIRC.

I'd say give it 24 hours based on the fact that you also have to ensure the domain is fully registered first.

Chris
N/A

Been almost 48 hours now....

Hmm, it's been ~48 hours now and still nothing.....

www.nryonline.co.uk is registered fine according to my tickets, and I made the DNS entry update 2 days ago as of 9pm Wed 21st May....

'A' record was made as follows for my static IP:

Leftfield: www.nryonline.co.uk
Type: A
Right field: My.static.I.P

I'd have thought it would be available correctly by now?

Edit: Out of interest I further presume nryonline is registered correctly since when you go to the URL it currently points to my PlusNet webspace.

nry
chino
Grafter

I did not know you could do this,

The way that i think is ...

you will have to setup your records so that on one side the www resolves your ip is that what has happened?

If it has will should also need a http server to be setup on your client.

I think thats right, but if it is not tell me (but not by flaming).

cUnDaLl
Community Veteran

You have done it wrong sorry,

left feild should just be www or www.domain.co.uk. note the trailing dot after the uk, this is not needed if you just put www in the left feild though.

Chris
N/A

Thanks all, PlusNet support have corrected the entry for me so I should be up and running soon!

In answer to cundall, I am running Apache on a Linux server at home which also firewalls my ADSL connection so people will end up viewing pages actually served from my machine at home.

nry
chino
Grafter

Thanks for the info now i know.... :lol:

cUnDaLl