cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I upload my simple website once I've written it?

N/A

I have searched the help on Plus Net and the forum here but I think my query is too basic for them to answer.

I am writing a very simple website for my wife's yoga classes - just 3 pages! - and I've done it in Word as we have that and I can save pages as web pages.

We have a domain name and Plus Net's webspace.

What I have no experience at is this 'FTP' business. I want to upload the pages to PlusNet's server and the information they give is very cryptic to me. I'm sure it's very obvious but I just can't see it. Is there somewhere you copy your files to, or what?

If anyone could give a novice a tip, I would be very grateful!

Graham Staplehurst

[Moderators note (by Thomas): E-mail address removed, as it attracts spam. Furthermore, being a public forum, we prefer the replies to be public!]
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

While FTP is the method most people use, have you considered just using the PlusNet website builder (it's designed for beginners to web design)? You can just copy and paste the writing from your Word document into the right places in the website builder, and everything will be done for you!

Thomas
N/A

Re: How do I upload my simple website once I've written it?

<snip>I've done it in Word<snip>

Just a suggestion fwiw - open your html docs in notepad and you'll see all the additional information that is added by word. There are lot's of free html editors available for download that do a much better job of web page creation.

SmartFTP http://www.smartftp.com/ ( also free ) is very simple and straightforward and works like a dream.
N/A

You need some ftp client. you then simply fill inj the ftp details and when you connect its just like explorer with your pc on one side and the webserver on the other you simply drag the files over like you would on your pc.
Community Veteran

Also some HTML editors either have built in 'publishing' systems (i.e. FTP) which handles all the uploading/downloading of your change automatically. Or you can get an FTP client that can integrate with it.

There are loads around just check a number of freeware/shareware web sites and search for 'HTML editor'.

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/2001-20-0.html?tag=zdfd.header5
www.download.com