cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I access my PC remotely

N/A

Can anyone point me in the right direction to access my home PC across the internet. I have a static IP but do not seem able to access anything when I point my browser at the address.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

if both computers have xp then the easiest way is to use the remote access program in xp, ensure the computer you want to log into is on and if you have a firewall or router your pcs make sure they are set to allow access

from the pc your connecting from open remote desktop connection in start - programs - accessories - communication and type in the ip address of your home computer and any other details and press connect and then you will be asked to log in to your home computer just like normal
N/A

There is also something called Real VNC.

RDC has in the past asked me to make sure the machine on the other end is logged out. This causes a problem if your looking for a problem and a user wished to show them etc etc.

Real VNC is also good and allows both parties to look and watch while the machine is being worked on.

In either case you will have to make sure your firewall is enabled to allow them to access the net ( and if using SP2 you may need to manually create the allow rules ). If your using a router you will also need to port forward the required ports.

Regards,
Community Veteran

One of the alternative VNC flavours that I like is Ultr@VNC.
http://www.ultravnc.com/

This has all the functionality of realVNC but adds file transfer and chat, to name a couple.

Chilly
N/A

I'd recommend looking at www.logmein.com (assuming the home PC has Windows XP) because you won't need to touch any router settings. You can set up simple desktop remote control for free, and when connected it is via an encrypted link (unlike VNC).

Your home PC will run a small application (showing an icon in the system tray) from when it boots up, and 'calls home' to logmein.com... you logon at logmein.com using a browser from wherever you go, and then have full control of the home PC, and it even works if you are on a dynamic IP at home.

You can add multiple PCs with the same login account, so can see which ones are online and when they were last online (and the IP they were on).

Teenagers tend to kill the LogMeIn software, of course.

You may need to check any firewall to allow in/out traffic, and I think (because port 2003 is used) some Anti-virus wrongly believes PCs have a trojan running!