cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I display webstat total hits as a page counter?

N/A

Hi

How can I display the total hits from my webstats so it displays as a page counter? Thats assuming its possible to do this.

Cheers Chris

[Moderator's note (by Chris P.): Topic moved to a more suitable forum]
11 REPLIES
N/A

That unfortunatly isn't possible, however, you can use the seperate page counters provided by PlusNet.

You can follow PlusNets guide to these here
N/A

Thanks for that, now is it possible to alter the start number of the counter in the log file as I would really like it to display the 11 million hits I have already had if possible.

Cheers Chris
N/A

There is usually a text file in the root folder that contains the number.

It's also worth pointing out that hits are acutally server requests and not how many times your home page has been viewed.

It's all explained here - http://portal.plus.net/support/webspace/webstats_statistics.shtml

Cheers
Zen
N/A

Hi Zen

Thanks for the reply, but I think my last reply may have confused the matter slightly.

When I asked about changing the start number of the logfile I wasnt refering to my webstats logfile I was refering to the plusnet hit counter log file as referred to in the following statement:

We also have a selection of other counters available, they are accessed in a similar manner, apart from the address of the counter is slightly different. All of the counters use the same log file, so if you change the style of your counter, then you won't lose all of your hard earned hits.

from the following page: http://portal.plus.net/support/webspace/counter_script.shtml

Cheers Chris
Community Veteran

The counter cannot be reset to zero or set to a fixed value to start with.
N/A

Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply, I set the counter up on 30/09/04 and until lunchtime today it had around 25000 hits, but for some reason this afternoon it has been reset to zero, surely this means that the hit counters log file can be changed.
And if not then what is the point of having a hit counter that resets after 4 days?

Cheers Chris
Community Veteran

I can't answer your Qs so I suggest you raise a contact us ticket and find out why the counter was reset because it should not have been. Don't forget to include a link to your counter so they know which one you are using.
N/A

That was a fast reply, I will raise a ticket now thanks.

Cheers Chris
N/A

Hi Peter

I just got a reply on my ticket and here is an extract from it.

If you can tell us the figure you want we will change it to that for you

So it appears that if you raise a ticket the start figure for the counter can be adjusted.

Cheers Chris
N/A

So it appears that if you raise a ticket the start figure for the counter can be adjusted.

good one crich............where there is a will the is a way.

N/A

Well it appears that the plusnet hit counter cant cope with my website traffic.

Dear Customer
I have updated your counter - I've reset it to the last known figure stated on this ticket (13525000+684+2133 - which it was at when I did the correction).

There is not a problem generally with web counters, so it would appear that the problems you are seeing are due to the huge number of hits you receive, causing the counter to fall over when it is unable to write to the file as it is already writing from a previous hit.

As our counter is not meeting your needs you may want to try ones provided by other sites.

I have now setup a counter from http://www.free-hit-counters.com/ just have to wait and see if this one can cope.

Cheers Chris