cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting and Domains

N/A

Hosting and Domains

I'm designing a site for some people (lets call them 'gtyc' )and they will need a good domain name.

I can get them hosted easily enough and they'll maybe have some subdomain or folder eg www.gtyc.example.com or www.example.com/gtyc. But then if they get a domain eg www.gtyc.com Im wondering if accessting sub directories will be the same.

Say they have a Photos page at www.gtyc.example.com/photos.htm, could you type in their new domain and add photos on the ends (www.gtyc.com/photos.htm) and get to the same page?

Sorry if thats unclear, but at least I know what I mean!

EDIT - Didnt know gtyc was an actual domain, but just use it as an example still! Im not doing anything with boats though!
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hosting and Domains

I wonder if this is what you mean.

type in http://www.johnessex.plus.com which will get you to the home page of my home site.
If you type in http://www.johnessex.plus.com/bigboatsite then this will take you to another folder within my site.

AS long as the folder you call has a index file in it then just the folder name added to the domain name will open up the page.
Community Veteran

Hosting and Domains

Also PlusNet do not support sub-domains so you can't use that method anyway to point to separate sections of your webspace..
lowry
Grafter

Hosting and Domains

If you buy a domain with 123-reg.co.uk you can make it redirect to free ISP space like PlusNet webspace. You can also make it do more complex redirects, for example:
---------------------------
Example Site
You could make the domain, (hosted with 123-reg) www.exampledomain.net redirect to www.examplesite.plus.com but you can also get 123-reg to make anything after your domain redirect to files on your webspace of the same name aswell, i.e. www.exampledomain.net/files3 could be redirected to www.examplesite.plus.com/files3 if this of domain website forwarding is selected in the 123-reg control panel.
----------------------------
I hope this may be of some help, if you have any queries with setting this up in the 123-reg control panel should you wish to at some stage, I would be more than willing to make you a few screenshots to show you how it is done so that specific redirects with file names included can work. It looks professional Smiley...

matt Wink
N/A

Hosting and Domains

Thanks Lowry. thats what I mean, though I wasnt on about my plusnet site, but I get the idea.