cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting Ventrilo Comm. Application

N/A

Hey,

I'd really like some help setting myself up a ventrillo server.

I'd firstly like to know if its possible to host it on my PlusNet webspace, and wether having CGI enabled would make any difference.

If it isn't possible to do this, i'd appreciate any help setting up a server on one of my machines. I have Zone Alarm running on them, and would most likely need to sort out port forwarding etc.

Thanks in advance
14 REPLIES
N/A

lo,cant help you with server set up,but you might be better of considering using teamspeak,our gaming clan has a dedicated server running 4 or 5 games and they thought about using ventrillo.seems to work fine but uses a lot of bandwidth,it would cut the tripe outta your 256k upload speed on your home connection if you have a lot of people using it.
N/A

Any other help?

Cheers for the idea mateSmiley I'll consider it, as i play cs quite a bit too.

The main idea is not to use it for online gaming though, rather for private use, e.g. talkin to mates from around the UK etc.

It'd be great if a PlusNet guy/gal would be able to tell me if i can host Ventrilo on my webspace.....

Cheers
N/A

No, for two reasons

1: The CGI server is designed to host websites, and is not for the purpose of voice comms.

2: The server doesn't accept incoming connections with the exception telnet, shh, ftp and http.
N/A

i've got it set up on my linux box (aoffun.plus.com:3784) here at home
N/A

Ventrilo Set Up

i've got it set up on my linux box (aoffun.plus.com:3784) here at home

Any chance you could gimme some help setting one up. I wont be running linux. Just XP Pro. I'd prefer it if i could have the host set up on my machine, rather than my other machine, the one i connect to the internet through. Just makes thigns easier connecting. But if its going to be a hastle setting it up with the port forwarding, i'll stick it on that machine.

If you can't, no probs, but still, can anyone else?

Cheers
Firejack
Grafter

I can set you up a free Teamspeak server, with you as the Admin, no problems.

Just need to know for how many people, what you want it to be called etc.

Leave a reply if you are interested. I'll check back later Smiley
N/A

Nice one

Nice one,

Can i just ask some questions beforehand. Such as where it'll be hosted, and that sorta stuff. I just want any general information basically.

Cheers Smiley
N/A

you should be able to install the ventrilo server on your windows machine. you will need to forward port 3784 (or whatever you choose) to your machine if you have a router/modem type setup
N/A

But how?

i know the basics of networking and so on, but port forwarding isn't something i have tried before......how can i do it?

Also, does anyone know of any tutorials i can look at for setting up the server itself? I've downloaded the server version, but don't have a clue how to get things working.

Any help appreciated Smiley

Cheers
Firejack
Grafter

The server is located within Plusnets network on a dedicated machine.

I've had 51 people on it without any problems. It could easily hold many more.

The dedicated machine is split into 2 servers at the moment. I can split it again and give you admin control with full access rights to configure the server as if it was on your own machine.
N/A

Ventrillo

Thats sounds pretty good Smiley

Am i right there will be no cost for you letting me use this?
Just i'm looking for the most cost effective option.....

If you still want to, just give me the ok in this post, and i'll add you on MSN Messenger to sort things out.

Cheers
Firejack
Grafter

'Tis free

Add me to messenger anytime Smiley
N/A

Thanks

Just sayin thanks to anyone who has posted here, hopefully, i'll have ventrillo up and running in no time.

Cheers
N/A

I host Ventrilo on my own PC connected through PlusNet's 1Mb ADSL service. In fact I used to host Ventrilo when I used my previous ISDN 64K Freeserve connection and still I could play Battlefield with a respectable ping.

Ventrilo uses MUCH less bandwidth than TS, and if you find otherwise you need to check how you've got it set up.

I've tried them all believe me! Including the Microsoft Sidewinder Game Voice from way back when!