cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host MS exchange + MX record ?

N/A

Hi,

I have a plus.net hosted domain and an exchange server host by another supplier. Im trying to add an MX record to the plus.net hosted domain to forward all mail to a domain held elsewhere.

Plus.net tech support suggested.....

"unfortunately we must advise that we do not support for additional records via this tool or our support line, further details are avilable via the info link when logged into the domain names section. If you require assistance then please make a posting to our internal discussion forum, someone will be sure to advise further. "

So, anyone know why i cant do this ?

Thanks for any advice.
Scott.
7 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Have you had a look at the tutorial on domain records available at http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10154
N/A

will have a look.

Hi,

Will have a look now. Thanks for reply.

In addition the information against the advanced domain secgment suggests:

"Additional DNS records (Advanced)
If you wish to set up your Domain to use your own Mail or Web servers, or make other changes to the DNS Resource Records you can do so from here. You can, with this advanced technical tool, set up A, CNAME and MX records manually. We advise that you refrain from using this facility if you do not fully understand its implications and capabilities."

Thanks again.
Scott.
N/A

Hi,

I had a look at:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10154

Reffering to the artcile, when i talks about setup up "Setting up SMTP mail" i get stuck. It says:

"This is relatively easy, although a lot of people make the common error of trying to use customised MX (Mail Exchange) records to do this.

All you need to do is go to the Mail Settings section of the Configure Domains screen (it's the first option). "

I did try to setup an MX as it suggested i dont. So I examined the "CONFIGURE DOMAINS" area, seleted "EMAIL SETTINGS" and got lost.

What am i supposed to do here ?

Thanks again.
Scott
csogilvie
Grafter

Domain Names -> Click Configure next to the domain name in question and change the mail delivery bit at the top to be SMTP.
N/A

ah !

I see what you mean. i dont have an smtp option as i dont have fixed ip. i can specify "other" DNS records.

Surly as long my custom MX record has a higher priorty (lower number) and points to an A record (held with another ISP) it should work ?

Thanks again
Scott.
csogilvie
Grafter

I think so, but I'm not sure of how MX works...
N/A

thank

Thanks for your. I will try another more specific post and see if anyone knows.

Cheers
Scott.