cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home page in IE

N/A

Home page in IE

Hey,

I have set my homepage in IE to www.plus.net, the thing is i seem to have a problem. When i click home or log into IE it directs me to www.wholeworldmarket.com I have tried running Spybot S +D and deleted everything that returns but it still wont move it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Johno
12 REPLIES
N/A

Home page in IE

Open your hosts file ( the file is just named hosts, with no extension) in notepad and look for a redirect in there. Look for :
or
and delete any instances of these.

It may just be a short term DNS cache issue, do a 'ipconfig /flushdns' from the command prompt or shutdown and restart.
N/A

Home page in IE

Nothing different in my hosts file, i checked there first. Tried the DNS flush and re booted but same problem. Found a reg key on the net which locks my home page, it cant be changed now.

Ha ha ha worldmarket, i hate companies that do this.

Cheers though

Johno
N/A

Home page in IE

Have a look at http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=163615

I haven't read it thoroughly but looks as if it has the answer you need.
N/A

Home page in IE

Download the startup manager from

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

disable anything your not sure of (you can re enable it later) see if that solves it. If it does check all the startup options and there will be something running a .reg file it may be disguised.

You can check if its somthing in startup by opening explorer setting you home page to plus net then close the browser and open it again. If it still has plusnet as the home page but when you reboot it defaults back again then its in the startup. Its a coman trick but it can be tricky as they hide the .reg file in all sorts of ways.
N/A

Home page in IE

Take a peep in the registry. Navigate to

HKLM>Software>Microsoft>InternetExplorer>Main

In the right hand pane, look for the dodgy URL. Double click on it and replace the value with your choice of URL, or leave blank and reset home page in Internet Options. Exit registry Editor.
N/A

Re: Home page in IE

I have tried running Spybot S +D

I find just lately that Ad Aware is better at picking new exploits up. I run both that and S&D regularly but did you do an online check for the latest updates before you ran S&D. There are several important updates out for both.
Community Veteran

Home page in IE

You probably need to run the beta of Search & Destroy as the current non beta version (1.2) is a bit behind on updates. S&D V1.3 should be out of beta soon as we have reached RC (release candidate) stage.

Just google for 'search and destroy beta' and look for 1.3 RC5 or keep an eye on the S&D forum here.
N/A

Home page in IE

Get Hijack This

You can look for browser hijackers with it, and remove them.
Community Veteran

Home page in IE

And sevaral others detailed in General: Essential Security software.
N/A

Home page in IE

Another method would be to simply not use IE any more, as it is full of security flaws.

There are other browsers out there for free download such as firefox or opera, and these are so much better than IE and more secure.
N/A

wholeworldmarket.com

I had trouble with this one. Very difficult to get rid of. Ad Aware and Spybot would remove it until you reboot the pc and back it would come.

I eventually got rid of it using Hijack this and CWShredder, ( both available as freeware.)
StanderBy
Dabbler

Home page in IE

Having had this myself i know just how difficult it is to remove. Went through all the forums/web sites and came up with "CWShredder" that removes all redirection software that is present on your computer. Well it helped cure it for me.

You are best off running from a fresh reboot
Ad-aware
CW Shredder
Spybot Search and Destroy
Hijack This

in that order to cure your problems - hope this helps

ps: Although Plusnet opperate a fantastic service, one of which i have never had any problems with (creep). Why O why would anyone want to set there home page to www.Plus.net? Well i mean theres no news reports - web search - weather - TV listings. Unless you really need to i see no point.
(Google home page user) Smiley