cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home network firewall software

N/A

We networked our computers last year using a proxy server, as our wireless router and modem weren't compatible.

We've had one hitch with our connection, when we discovered our proxy server wasn't quite as secure as we thought it was. We changed to a different proxy server and have set it to permit ONLY my husbands IP and MAC address, which seemed to sort the problem out.

But last night, I seemed to be getting a lot of hits and was looking through my firewall logs and I saw something which concerns me.

FWROUTE,2005/10/05,07:23:26 +1:00 GMT,221.xxx.xxx.xx:40267,80.xxx.xxx.xxx:1026,UDP
FWROUTE,2005/10/05,07:23:26 +1:00 GMT,221.xxx.xxx.xx:40267,80.xxx.xxx.xxx:1027,UDP

They weren't registering as 'high risk', but they were routed to me (but blocked). Am I wrong in thinking that they've been sent THROUGH the other computer?

My husband is no longer running a software firewall. The logs never showed any internet activity. But this is the first time I've seen outside IP addresses being routed back to my computer. Do I have reason to be concerned? And will installing a software firewall on his computer prevent this from occurring again? Or do I have have the completely wrong idea about what 'routed' means?

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Could it be to do with the messenger service?
N/A

Can anyone post any good links for setting up a home proxy/firewall.