cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Network

N/A

Home Network

Can anybody advise me on what is needed to set up a wireless network from
my main pc int he living room with 2mb broadband connecting to a 2nd pc in my sons bedroom, this room does not have a phone ext.
Any help and advice in the way of equipment would be much appreciated.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Home Network

I have today been and updated my system using this item that I got from Scan. www.scan.co.uk

Very easy to set up and will do the job you want.
N/A

Home Network

You could just buy a real long crossover network cable to go between the two pc's if you don’t mind having cables lying around. Best option is to buy a wireless router with a pci (internal) wireless adaptor.

Just an example a budget wireless router will set you back ~ £44.99 and the wireless adaptor ~ £19.99.

I have a Belkin setup here, its ok, does its job. My father in-law has the latest Netgear router and adaptor which i must say is very nice.

Make sure you get 802.11g grade kit, 54Mbps or 108Mbps its up too you.
N/A

2 PCs

Why not just buy a belkin USB bluetooth adapter for each PC - total cost £25/£30

If your son has a laptop it may well be bluetooth enabled which will save you the cost of one dongle.
N/A

Home Network

Whats the range on bluetooth? only about 5 - 10 meters i think.

Wont be as good as a router plus pci wireless card, if your going to build a home network it may aswell be done properly.
N/A

Home Network

Bluetooth can have up to 100m range
N/A

Home Network

I can personally vouch for the D-Link John linked you to.

I have used that exact model and I must admit it worked a treat. I have since gone a little loopy and extended my equipment and network, but for what you want, it will work great.
N/A

Home Network

Yep go for a router setup