cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hold my hand into VOIP --- PLEASE

OldGent

I have looked at Plustalk now and again but not tried it. However seeing a Tevion USB handset in Aldi the other day decided to try the waters, with mixed results.

The USB phone was initially plugged in to my laptop and WinXP immediately recognised it as a IP phone and installed some drivers. (I deliberately didn't use the supplied CD, as I fancy that this will tie me into Aldi's or someone else's service). So far so good.

I next downloaded and installed Xlite, which seemed also to go OK. The phone seemed to be recognised immediately by XLite and automatically configured. Good

Next I activated the service on my account at Plusnet, and downloaded some of the help sheets. (One point to Support; there does seem to be a number of inconsistencies between advice between different documents).

Then I tried setting up the service. After a few glitches I managed to get the XLite Desktop SoftPhone to display Ready: Your username is: PlusTalk@******.plus.com. Additionally the USB phone works with it, anything I type into the USB phone is displayed on the softphone, including the call and hang-up buttons. Great.......

NO!!!

I have now reached the point where everything seems to configured but I cannot connect. I have, AFIK, set the appropriate port accesses in the program settings, and in my ADSL Router D-Link (DSL604T) and enabled XLite program access in Zone Alarm

Should you get some form of dial-tone when you press the call button, (I don't)? Similarly when I dial a contact, should you get some form of ring-tone (All I hear is a sort of "mushy" click)? Eventually I will get a Female American voice telling me that the user I have dialled is not available. I cannot tell if thgis message is from the system of by the software after a predetermined period of inactivity. This happens each time, even using the VOIP test numbers listed in this forum.

What am I Missing? Could it be the USB phone?, although XLite recognises it and autoconfigures it when I plug it in, so that looks as if it is OK.

Any help and advice would be most useful and greatly appreciated. Sad
3 REPLIES
OldGent

Anybody?
Scottish_Scruti

Try setting you id as

sip:plustalk@.......
Simon_M
Grafter

The American female voice is from X-lite, although you do get a similar voice when you get through to Plusnet voicemail.

IIRC, the echo test on the Plusnet system has been re-recorded in an English (Yorkshire?) accent.

Try using your numeric SIP ID rather than your SIP address as username in the phone & see if that makes any difference.