Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hit Counters on domains

thejudge
Grafter

Hit Counters on domains

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have three domains hosted by +net. The one with the 'plus.com' url I use just as a redirect to my two .me.uk domains.

I put one of +net's own counters on the 'index' pages of each of the .me.uk domains.

I now realise that, because the hit counters are related to my .plus.com domain, they are both merely counting the number of times the .plus.com page is being hit.

Is there any way to adapt the +net counter so that it will count the hits on the .me.uk index pages instead?

If not, how do I upload a standard Front Page counter to each of my two .me.uk domain index pages? What address to I need to put into the box which comes up when I try to upload from FP?

Ta
11 REPLIES
N/A

Hit Counters on domains

I don't know if it will help but, I wrote an ASP counter that you can use if you like? (written in VBScript), if you'd like a copy to put on your web server, send me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy of the file's (7 in all, including a setup/editing page)
N/A

Hit Counters on domains

Would love to email you mate for it but you've hidden it...

Can you email me dansco@danscotson.co.uk with the files pls :?:
csogilvie
Grafter

Hit Counters on domains

Just so you know, ASP scripts don't run on plus.net servers.
N/A

Hit Counters on domains

Would love to email you mate for it but you've hidden it...

Can you email me dansco@danscotson.co.uk with the files pls :?:

Copy of the script has been sent to you. My apologies for the delay in replying.
N/A

Hit Counters on domains

Cheers fella Cool

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Quote removed, as it was just a duplication of the post immediately before this one.]
N/A

Hit Counters on domains

Your most welcome Wink
thejudge
Grafter

Dang!

Just so you know, ASP scripts don't run on plus.net servers.

Thanks Colin. I contacted Steven Burn off-forum and he sent me the scripts. They didn't work, and he came to the same conclusion. Sad

OK, so now I'm back to square one. Can anyone tell me how the hell I can get hit counters to run on the two .me.uk domains (see my original post for details) if .asp won't work, and if I can't get +net's own counters to do it? Evil

Thanks in advance,

Baffled of Wrexham
N/A

Hit Counters on domains

I'd be more than happy to host the counter file's for you if you like? (then you simply use the iFrame code, pointed to the URL on my server, to include it in your webpages).

Let me know
N/A

Hit Counters on domains

PlusNet have Perl and PHP support on the CGI servers. There are more counter applications for them languages that ASP or Coldfusion.
csogilvie
Grafter

Hit Counters on domains

<?

$string = doCount();
$length = strlen($string);
$im = ImageCreate((ImageFontWidth(2)*$length),ImageFontHeight(2));
$bg = ImageColorAllocate ($im, 255, 255, 255);
$text = ImageColorAllocate ($im, 255, 0, 0);
ImageString ($im, 2, 0, 0, $string, $text);
header ("Content-type: image/png");
ImagePNG ($im);
imagedestroy($im);

function doCount()
{
$counter_file = "/path/to/file/count.txt";
$fp = @fopen($counter_file, "r");
if(!$fp)
{
return "Counter Error";
}
$counter = (int) fread($fp, 20);
fclose($fp);
$counter++;
$fp = @fopen($counter_file, "w");
fwrite($fp, $counter);
fclose($fp);
return $counter;
}
?>

Stick that in a php script on the CGI server, create a file within your folder called count.txt chmod'ed writable (777?) and it should work.
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hit Counters on domains

Don't rely on the Plusnet counters- they keep re-setting to zero for no apparent reason and are very inflexible.

I changed to www.bravenet.com's free counter service. It does not delay page loading at all, at least not that I have noticed, But the statistics are brilliant - even the resolution of each visitor's monitor, which is a real help when designing webpages, because you know what monitor your average visitor is likely to be using. But lots of other ueful information as well, and you can have as many counters as you want; you just advise their server the url of each site and give it a separate name. I highly recommend it, although at first I was reluctant.

www.webwizguide.info/asp/sample_scripts/default.asp also has a hidden web-counter service.

I also notice from this thread that ASP does not function on Plusnet servers. Can anyone confirm that and is there a good reason for that ?