cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hijacked email address

Casimir

Hijacked email address

Hi
I have just recently been receiving approx. 10 emails returned each day, where my address has been used to SPAM other people! Ok, I know I can just delete them, but anyone else got this problem,and probably a solution?
Thanks
Mike
5 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Hijacked email address

N/A

Hijacked email address

Only ten? (lucky sod).
Casimir

Hijacked email address

Thanks shellsong.
............10 and rising!!!!!!!!Zillion :x
N/A

Hijacked email address

Well tonight I needed to recover a password for a site I infrequently use - and as the PN email mailbox I had used at that time no longer exists I hopped on over to the portal to login to my webmail account as our 'default' mailbox is one that we only check if we haven't received something we were expecting.

What the hell! I'm fuming at the moment. It's a good thing it didn't list how many messages were in that webmail account. I found the one I needed... and started flipping through pages and pages and pages of blatant spam and a lot of ones that have bounced from OTHER people after my PN name has been used to spam god knows how many people.

You know, I had a look at my usage the other day and was slightly startled to see how much BW is being attributed to our email use. NOW I suddenly understand. It's not that the spam is being SENT from our account. It's all the 'Mailer Daemon' and 'Unable to deliver' messages being thrown back at our default inbox because of some piece of ____ spammer out there. And you know what? A lot of these 'returned' messages have been flagged by their users ISP as SPAM. Nice to see that PN is capable of returning the favour.

From the look of things - every single one of those emails has the 'original' email included as an attachment. Which just adds to the weight of the mail. And who's paying for it? WE ARE.

I agree that the likely source of this problem originated HERE on the forums. I also know that despite our pleas that they will fall on deaf ears. Because don't you know, offering an email service is a FREE BENEFIT therefore they can do whatever the hell they want with it and DON'T have to be held accountable or offer compensation for the inconvenience OR the bandwidth being wasted through THEIR problems.

I have a feeling that this is the straw that broke the camel's back.
N/A

Hijacked email address

..and now the camels back is broken you are going to do .......? what?