cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi needing someones help with my webspace

N/A

Hi I've been with plusnet for a year now and remember when I started theres was 250MB of webspace for a web site, Is that still the case.

What I wanted to do was I have another website built in flash and its a Art site offering Painted Portraits to the public, the only problem is the flash site doesn't open up the image to full size like html does, so I wanted to store my full size image samples on my plusnet space. My flash site is hosted else where so thats not the problem it would just be the images.

So please how would I go about putting my pictures on the webspace?

and sorry for being thick but with 250MB does that mean that people no matter how many wanted to view these pictures would still be able to and 250MB just means the amout of mb the images would come to and not to go over 250?

Cheers
Philip
7 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

You are allocated 250Mb of webspace, but also 250Mb / day transfer limit. So, you can use upto 250Mb Space in Images, but need to remember that visitors will only be able to transfer 250mb's worth of images daily.

This, for most people, isn't a huge problem, unless you're getting very high resolution, big filesize images and many users.

To upload the files to your webspace you need to use FTP. I recommend downloading WS_FTP or SmartFTP (search download.com). Enter your server details (ftp.plus.com - username - password) and just drag and drop.

Easy as that!
Community Veteran

You dont even need a program to upload your files Smiley

Just type ftp://ftp.plus.net/htdocs/ into the browser address bar and providing you have IE 5.5 or greater it will give you a box requesting username and password.
Enter these and you will have the htdocs folder open on your PC.
Open the pictures folder as well with My Computer and just drag and drop the images into the htdocs folder. This will upload them for you.

You would then access them from your other site by using the link http://www.username.plus.com/imagename.jpg etc.
Hope thats of use to you.
LiamM
Grafter

Hmm... for some reason, Internet Explorer doesn't like my Plusnet webspace. Find i get much better reliability with SmartFTP.
N/A

Make sure FTP browsing is enabled in the IE options.

You may like to change it to BB compatability mode, also in the options.

I only use IE as my FTP client, as I do very little uploading. Any file editing I do is normaly PHP, and my editor (Edit2+) has a built in FTP save function.
N/A

Thanks for the great help from all of you,

I'll try it out tomorrow,

Thanks agian
Philip
N/A

Actually just quickly done what John suggested

Popped my pic in the htdocs folder. and used the url with my actual username replacing username and the actual image name replacing imagename in the link john said but comes up with saying the url was not found on this server.

Do I have to turn on my webspace or do anything there as the only other thing in my htdocs folder is index page that plusnet have set up saying I havn't used my webspace as yet.

Cheers
Philip
Community Veteran

You don't have to enable your webspace.

What URL did you use and what is the name of the image file?

Remember the case of the image filename has to match exactly so if it starts with a capital letter, the URL must also have that.