cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping yourself to avoid Spam

Brickinit
Grafter

i only give my personal e-mail address to family and friends. if i do any shopping , enquire for information or fill in any forms on-line i give a hot-mail address.that way, if you receive any spam you can use your hot-mail account to block it. you can block 250 address using this or you can block the domain (ie AOL,yahoo).
i realise this wont help those in business who depend on their e-mail for business, but it may be of some use to any home users and the likes

malc
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

One thing you could also do to cut your spam down is create a mail box call it spam and use it for anything you signup to. All your spam goes in one place which you can check from time to time for anything you might need.

Chris
Ianwild
Grafter

Personally, I use my email address everywhere - iwild@plus.net gets posted all over the Internet, and I used to get at least 50 unique spams a day.

That was until I installed Spampal - Now, I get 2 a day at most. The rest are tagged as spam and deleted with a message rule.

It's free and pretty simple to install... I can't fault it!
N/A

I use a combination of both ideas - an old Talk21 address which I give out for anything that's likely to result in a heap of rubbish arriving, plus Mailwasher to filter out the rest, set to autodelete and bounce anything with an AOL, Hotmail, MSN or Yahoo address if the sender isn't in my friends list.

I believe that the latest free version of Mailwasher only works with one e-mail account though - for multiple accounts, which I expect most people have (I have about eight I think, I lose track of them) you now have to pay for it, so Spampal that Ian mentioned is probably a good bet nowadays, though I don't think it has the bounce facility.
Brickinit
Grafter

thanks for the ideas. as you can tell my way is quite primitive and kept my old tiscali (screaming) and +net mailboxes clean but you can imagine my hot-mail has been quite messy in the past,especially when my blocked list became full and i deleted all and started again. i get a good 12 months before a delete.
i shall try some of your solutions to beef up my mail accounts when i get a minute.
malc
LastRoMan
Grafter

Ian,
I downloaded spampal - I thought if it worked for you I would give it a go. However I cannot get the basic configuration right - can you or any others help please?

First - what works before I make changes:
I use Outlook Express and run Windows XP. The settings in OE before changes:

Tools, Accounts, Plusnet, Properties, Servers tab:

Advanced:
Outgoing mail (SMTP): 25
Incoming mail (POP3): 110
Server Information:
Incoming mail (POP3): localhost
Outgoing mail (SMTP): relay.plus.net
Incoming Mail Server:
Account name: seero1/mail.plus.net

spampal instructions say if the Incoming mail (POP3) is localhost leave as is and add @localhost to the username and leave the server name as it is.

I have tried all these:
a) seero1/@localhost.mail.plus.net
"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'PlusNet', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

b) seero1@/localhost.mail.plus.net
"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'PlusNet', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

c) seero1@pop3.localhost.mail.plus.net
- timed out

d) seero1@pop3.mail.plus.net
- timed out

e) seero1/@localhost.mail.plus.net

f) seero1@localhost.mail.plus.net
- timed out

Any suggestions please?
bhau
Grafter

Re: Helping yourself to avoid Spam

My current method is to take advantage of PlusNet's unlimited mailboxes feature and create unique email addresses for each site/company I give it out to:

eg yahoo@<username>.plus.com, usenet@<username>.plus.com, bbc@<username>.plus.com etc

that way I can just check the "to" address and go slap whatever site/company, or just create an email rule in my mail client to just delete any further mails to that address.

Seems to work well so far :lol:

Bill
phillight
Grafter

The username for spampal should be seero1@mail.plus.net.

Was the 'Incoming mail' address set to localhost before you started using SpamPal? If it was you may have a conflict with a virus scanner or something - if this is the case (and you want it set up that way), you can run SpamPal on a different port. Set the username to seero1@mail.plus.net@localhost and the server address to localhost:pampalport (i.e. localhose:111).

However, I suspect this was set by another spam program, and you simply want to set the username to seero1@mail.plus.net.

Phil