cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!!!!!

N/A

Help!!!!!

Hi All

A friend of my sister who is using Windows XP has a fine collection of trojans which although I find it hard to believe is stopping her restoring her OS...... is there a way of "forcing" a re-install?

IanJ
12 REPLIES
N/A

Help!!!!!

yeah boot the pc with the xp disk in the drive (make sure boot from cd in enabled in the bios) and then you should be able to reinstall XP. I take it system restore doesn't work then?
N/A

Help!!!!!

No system restore is apperently not letting her go back to a previous date....... I have recommended a demo version of some anti-trojan software so awaiting the outcome

Thanks for the quick reponse
LiamM
Grafter

Help!!!!!

What Anti-Trojan Software is that?
N/A

Help!!!!!

Hi Liam

a-squared personal &Touscan........ there maybe better I don't know; as a Mac user I am not familiar with them ;-)
N/A

Help!!!!!

that'll teach them to not run an uptodate AV and firewall. Will do them good to watch as their PC is totaly destroyed by a good old virus.

Next time she is online, get her to use an AV, a firewall, and firefox *(even though it is now having more security holes found, it is still better than IE)*
((btw for those who didnt know 1.04 is out))

Buz
LiamM
Grafter

Help!!!!!

I set my dad up with a nice Firewall, Up to Date AV Software, AntiSpyware Software and Firefox.

Somehow though, he managed to go onto a website, download something which opened up on his computer trying to initiate connections over the internet.

Of course, the firewall stepped in and said NO, but my Dad pressed that dreaded "Allow" button without a clue what was going on, and now his computer also is full of trojans.

Even the strongest of protection on the PC cannot protect from the un-knowing, lazy user.

Grrrrr!
N/A

Help!!!!!

I have a mate across the road exactly like that. Nice shiny new computer, less than six months old, and I've had to clean it up for him four times so far because the message just doesn't sink in to his thick skull. Cry

I do find that a-squared, which Ian mentioned, is very good at finding the bits that I haven't spotted on his yet again corrupted system - takes a heck of a time to run, so not for the impatient, but seems to do a thorough job.
N/A

Help!!!!!

there are two options to fight these lazy L"users"

1) take that nice little black cable that goes into their PSU, and hide it. They do not deserve to be on a computer, they can use a pen. Or maybe just remove that cable from the PC to the Modem *as i dout they have routers* as they sure dont deserve to be online, remove the lame users out there and the amount of crap net traffic will fall 99% due to most of it being caused by morons clicking stupid links and not patching up their PCs

2) get a linux live cd, i recomend Gentoo, wait till they leave the room the next time they as you to "clean it up" and just install it, and hide Cheesy.. see how they like that.

They will neave listen to the simple facts of the net, even if you put them into one word ans. they see it as nothing that can harm them as its only elecrtonics or what ever, maybe next time some one comes and asks you to clean their pc, you will say no and watch them suffer from their own stupidity
N/A

Help!!!!!

I see only one advice to get god security:

use linux.

You might have not to be lazy though.
N/A

Help!!!!!

the message just doesn't sink in to his thick skull. Cry

Hit him with an invoice at £60 or £70 an hour. It doesnt take long to sink in then.
N/A

Help!!!!!

:lol:

That's not a bad idea in theory - but then he'd probably try and sort it out himself instead and make matters worse! He's a decent sort, and pretty new to things, and it keeps my brain active, so I'll give him another couple of months.

Actually, I'm amazed at what people do charge for the simplest of things if they think they can get away with it.
Another friend, not daft, had the misfortune to get clobbered by a new virus before the update to her AV programme came out later the same day, couldn't sort it herself and rang a local PC shop.
When they quoted her £80 (and that was with her taking the PC to them, not a home visit) she had the sense to ring me and asked if I thought that was a bit steep.
It wasn't even a particularly difficult one to get rid of - she'd identified what it was, found most of the relevant files, already done half the job, so just a case of following instructions on the Symantec website that she was a bit confused by (and remembering to disable system restore - why is it that so many people overlook that?) and I talked her through it over the phone in about half an hour.
N/A

Help!!!!!

£80 to remove a virus on a home users system is a bit steep. But nonetheless and providing the importance of system security is explained to the user, £40 or £50 an hour soon focus's their mind.