cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with setup for security on Plusnet

pudn

I know there is a separate ADSL Setup discussion forum but my query/problem is more to do with configuration of the various bits of software on my PC to get a good, working and yet secure system.

I migrated from another ISP yesterday, 10 May2004, where I did not have the problems I am having here. Basically my problem is I cannot get the list of newsgroups from 'usenet.plus.net' when using either Outlook Express and/or Newsrover. Both imply the server cannot be found!

Although I thought everything else was ok, when I come to browse the net this afternoon IE and Firebird cannot load 'new' pages. I must have been viewing cached copies last night!

No changes have been made to my system during migration though I have obviously changed the login and DNS settings in the router.

My system is: Speedtouch USB ADSL modem (the original 'stingray' turquoise one), linked to a vigor 2200 usb router, and then my PC. I am running Windows XP Worstation which is fully patched and my firewall is Agnitum's Outpost 2. and anti-virus is PC-cillin 2003.

I have raised a support ticket for the problem and the initial response was "if you are running a firewall set it to 'medium'. Outpost has no medium setting!

I have been using the internet for quite a few years and am now in my 4th year of broadband - mine was originally an engineer installed product when self-install was not available.

What should mt settings be. I do NOT want to reduce the level of protection I currently have.

tia
3 REPLIES
N/A

Initial response may be that your account at PlusNet was not yet fully set up.
Do you still have the problem ??
Do proxy settings still exist from your previous ISP (Freeserve & AOL do this).
N/A

And if the DNS settings on the router have been changed (as said), are they set to the correct servers for Plusnet ADSL.

Also, is the PC picking up it's DNS settings from the router using DHCP or is it running a static address with specific DNS addresses - again, are they correct for Plusnet.

Just some thoughts...
--
Mark.
pudn

Thanks for the replies guys. The Internet Settings are all ok. It appears that it is Pc-cillin causing the problem. I've had ongoing problems with various programs for several months now, so as a result of this problem now I decided to do a reformat and reinstall on the desktop.

Having put Windows on and made sure it was patched up to date all appeared ok. I had put my Outpost firewall on and it was still ok. When I came to put Pc-cillin on the problem came back!

Having taken Pc-cillin off and installed Norton AV it is working correctly. As my Pc-cillin licence has still 6 months to run I will raise the problem with them.

Thanks for your replies