cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with .htaccess

N/A

Help with .htaccess

I could just be dumb or something but having followed the tutorial for .htaccess I still cant get it to redirect errors to my own error pages.

I have followed the tutorial exactly, and I still get the standard error screens. Even when I tell it to just display some HTML (as per the example in the tutorial) instead of redirecting to another webpage, I still get the standard pages.

This is what is says in the tutorial that I followed :

So, for example, the Olate 404 page is done like this:

ErrorDocument 404 /errors/404.php 

Instead of directing users to a page, you can display some HTML instead:

ErrorDocument 404 "<b>Page Not Found</b><p /><br /><a href="index.php">Return to the homepage</a>  

The only change i made to the above examples were that i used HTML files instead of PHP. Does this matter?

Can anyone make a suggestion on how I can get it to redirect?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Help with .htaccess

The file type doesn't matter.

However, the error file needs to be a minimum filesize before IE and some other browser will drop there default page, and use your cusomised version.

I will try and find the size in a moment. However, have you tried some random junk?
N/A

Help with .htaccess

Thanks.
When I redirected it to a large webpage, the redirect worked.

Thanks again
Community Veteran

Help with .htaccess

Philip, maybe you can update the tutorial once you find the figure your looking for.
N/A

Help with .htaccess

Will do.

I found it whilst scouring for some other stuff related to redirects.

The Apache 2 documentation metnions this Microsoft Q number - Q294807

The size threshold varies depending on the type of error, but in general, if you make your error document greater than 512 bytes, then MSIE will show the server-generated error rather than masking it.