Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help wanted to understand GPRS

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have just changed mobile phone companies and have registered with Vodafone on a monthly contract with a new Sharp GX-15 handset.

For many years, I have successfully linked my Windows 98 laptop to my previous mobile phone via infra-red connection in order to access my webmail on Plusnet when I am out of the office. It has been reliable although a slow and expensive solution, but the main thing is that it worked fine and is still better than an internet cafe !

My new mobile phone supports GPRS but the instructions that come with the phone and with the Voodoofone account are pitiful. I can still access the Plusnet portal using the infra-red connection, but I do not know where to begin with GPRS. I am still using the same old lap-top with Windows 98, on the grounds that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Can anyone help with some basic advice ? The sort of questions I need answers to are :

1. Do I have to sign up specially for GPRS with Voodoofone or is it automatically available normally ?
2. What number do i use to set up the Dial-up number etc on the handset or on the lap-top?
3. Do I just pay for the data exchange rather than the total connection time ?
4. Is there a special URL for Plusnet webmail for use with GPRS ?
5. Would I be better using WAP (which I have never used either) rather than GPRS for webmail ?
6. Is there a special URL for Plusnet webmail for WAP ?

Answers to any of the above would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Shockedops:
6 REPLIES
N/A

Gprs is automatically available, however it will cost more than a normal call. The vodaphone site has faq about seting up your phone for gprs. Using the ir connection form your laptop will work the same as before. I don't know if plus net has a wap site for email. The normal site wil not work with wap. I would stick with your laptop.
N/A

Gprs is automatically available, however it will cost more than a normal call. The vodaphone site has faq about seting up your phone for gprs. Using the ir connection form your laptop will work the same as before. I don't know if plus net has a wap site for email. The normal site wil not work with wap. I would stick with your laptop. You can now get a pcima gprs card giving much faster connection speeds, closer to adsl than a dailup, but the coverage is not good.
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks. I will look at the Voodoofone website.
N/A

Hi,

with GPRS you are only charged for the data that you download, not the time spent on your connection.

Plus Net, don't currently have a wap enabled interface to webmail, people have asked about it and I think the idea is being mulled over, but I don't know any more than that.

I prefer GPRS to wap, since it connects much faster and you can stay connected without worrying about being charged for the duration. So once your connected, it's much quicker to get your e-mails. Esp. since you don't have to keep reconnecting, you can stay connected.

Aaron
N/A

Vodafone do not GPRS enable your simcard by default, only those sold on contract or provided on PAYG as having access to Vodafone Live do so.

If you can get access to Vodafone Live, then GPRS is enabled. otherwise, contact Vodafone, and they shoudl enable it for free.

Vaodafones GPRS APN settings for Vodafone live, are WAP access only, and won't work on the internet.

You will need to create an APN called "internet", with a username ans password of "net/net" IIRC.
RobDickson
Grafter

Mail2web.com has a WAP site that will let you access any ISP's POP3 e-mail account over the web.