Re: Help please
Re: Help please
Quote can any one tell me which phone i need to buy o work with plus talk or will any usb one work
PlusTalk uses SIP, so you've got a few options:
1. Use a softphone (i.e. telephone software) on your computer with a cheapo headset plugged into your sound card - this works well but involves you having your computer turned on.
2. Use a softphone on your computer with a USB handset - I've not got any experience of USB handsets, but basically they are just USB sound cards so you still use a softphone. Again, you have to have your computer turned on for this to work.
3. Get an ATA (analogue telephone adaptor) which lets you plug a normal phone into your network. Assuming you're using a DSL router (rather than a DSL modem) to connect to the internet you don't need your computer turned on, just leave the router and ATA turned on.
4. Get a hardware SIP phone. Again, if you're connected to the internet through a router you won't need your computer to be turned on, you just plug it into your network.
5. Get a wireless hardware SIP phone. These are still quite pricey, but rather shiny - I've just bought a UTStarcom F1000G. Basically the same as a wired hardware SIP phone except they connect to your wireless network and look like a mobile phone or DECT phone.
I can recommend Ekiga (http://www.ekiga.org) and SJphone (http://www.sjlabs.com/) if you want a softphone. Shop around if you want an ATA or hardware SIP phone since the prices can be quite variable. The cheapest place to get the F1000G wireless phone seems to be Sipgate (http://www.sipgate.co.uk)