cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed pop ups suddenly appeared aswell as self install

N/A

Hey all,

I have recently noticed that I am getting unwanted pop ups appearing as well as unwanted self installer programes installing themselves into my pc. I know that firewalls help protect against this and I do have one running. I have norton 2003 firewall running and have selected to block all ads and popups. Not to mention i have locked all ports unless given exclusive permission by me. Further more any popup or self installer agreement that does manage to popup i close in the usual manner (by clicking on the 'x' in the top right).
However even while running these precatious measures I have still managed to be the victim of self installers, pop ups and now when ever i load a page another page loads along with it ranging from being a search engine type page to being a page about getting ride of pop ups.

Is there anyone that could possibly help me. If so please reply in the usual manner.

Thanks and all the best Tom.
10 REPLIES
N/A

I'd suggest running a spyware program such as AdAware or Spyboy S&D. They both scan your hard drive for known spyware, etc. which sounds to be the cause of your problem.

As always with this kind of software, only remove what you're sure is spyware - removing something you shouldn't have can cause programs to stop operating properly. Also make sure you use the program's Backup function - if there is one.
Community Veteran

Also install a good pop-up stopper. The Google toolbar is one such utility for IE browsers, there are plenty of others around. Mozilla actually has one built in.
N/A

Thanks for your advice eurotrain and peter,

I have installed ad-aware but i get a load of items listed as reg keys based within hkclasses. I really dont know what is spyware,adware etc or what isnt. I dont know what to keep get rid off or quarantine.

I could post the log file i spose but i think that would create one big huge posting.

All the best and thanks Tom.
N/A

You can be 99% sure that adware will get it right so go ahead and delete the things its found.

Like everyone you should have a backup of any vital data and create a restoe point. Ad-ware has never got it wrong for me.
N/A

Ad-Aware should automatically mark the bad spyware apps anyway, though it will leave the ones it deems low risk unmarked.

Though I would simply delete them all.
N/A

You could do worse than trying a different browser Smiley - Mozilla (as previously mentioned) and Firefox both have a pop-up killer built-in and I think Opera does also. Use one of those in conjunction with Adaware and maybe something like Javacool Software's Spywareblaster and you should have a much more pleasant online experience......
N/A

As a firefox user I can vouch for that Cool
N/A

firefox + adaware + sygate personal firewall = happy browsing

taking ur privs down to a user = happy windows

remove ur right axx to the %systemfile% will mean that no lame spyware can install Cheesy

oh and also set it so ur cache is emptied at every reboot.. means horrid "install on reboot" stuff will be gone

Buz
N/A

If you are running Windows XP then try the Service Pack 2 Beta release. Microsoft have a pop up stopper intergrated with Internet Explorer and its very good.
Community Veteran

A warning: Only install the Beta SP2 if you have a complete backup of your PC. As with all Beta software there is the possibility it will not install or run properly or cause compatibility issues. This can mean you have to reinstall Windows. Basically use at your own risk!

There are plenty of pop-up stoppers around without resorting the Beta releases from Microsoft.