cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Drowning in Security Software!

worcsdave
Grafter

Call me cautious - ok, paranoid! - but I seem to have ended up with countless different security programmes on my PC! I have:

Adaware
TrojanHunter
CounterSpy
SpyBot
WindowsWasher
Norton CleanSweep
ZoneAlarm Firewall

I am starting to spend more time updating and using all this stuff than just enjoying my PC and the Internet! And I'm not trying to hide anything - honest guv - it's just that quite often one programme doesn't pick up or do something that the other will; that was certainly the case recently when I had to use three programmes to deal with a Trojan that had somehow ended up on my PC.

Ok - which ones can I get rid of (i.e. which are the real duplicates?).

And - is any browser more inherently secure than another? e.g. are there fewer glitches with Mozilla Firefox than, say, IE6?

Advice about de-cluttering my PC gratefully received!!
14 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Which one of those is the antivirus? Tongue

I know the feeling and to make it worse I've just downloaded Microsoft's anti-spyware.

You need a software firewall and antivirus program. I used to have Norton Internet Security, but have swapped for Sygate Personal Firewall and AVG Antivirus, both free, and they are a lot less bother and seem to do the job.

Then you need to sweep occasionally for spyware and other rubbish.
I've got Spybot Search and Destroy, and Adaware SE Personal. ( as recommended by those in the know in the forums) and now Microsoft Antispyware, though I've turned off the automatic monitoring and updating and stuff as I'm sure it slows everything down.

They've avoided nasty things so far for me, touch wood, and I think it's a reasonable compromise between carelessness and paranoia.

That said, you'll find as many different views as people, I'm sure.

And I've changed to Firefox, which is nice and easy to use, and arguably more secure than IE. It works with most places, but it's just nicer to use than IE anyway.
N/A

gpattinson is absolutely right, you need an antivirus.
I use spybot & adaware for occasional checks, but have avast (free) antivirus, kerio (free) firewall and microsoft antispyware running all the time. (So that is just 3 progs running)
Things do occasionally slip past, so then I use loads of different cleaners.
See this post. http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31925&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
N/A

anti-virus software seems to be missing from your list, and after a firewall is probably the most important bit of software.

There is a danger of getting caught up in all this security hum drum, and if your not careful it can spoil the net for you.

I would say the list you have is good, except for you appear to be missing an anti-virus.
N/A

Re: Help! Drowning in Security Software!

I am starting to spend more time updating and using all this stuff

Why not schedule your programs to auto update and auto scan, with just AVG, MS antispyware and MS firewall running I never get any grief. No doubt the MS pop up stopper also plays a minor part. I'm told that my router is another line of defence, but I don't understand these things.
I occasionly use a online checker just to see if anything crept in, but always get a clean bill of health.
Just to go off topic a wee bit, whats the likelyhood of anything being damaged by rouge code, such as HDD players, phones and such like that uses media taken from the internet, or is that not possible?
worcsdave
Grafter

Thanks everyone - actually, I missed my AVG antivirus off the original list - so i think I'm 'covered' in just about every way possible.

Interesting that noone seems to think that I'm OVER-covered! Maybe an indication of the reality of just how many 'nasties' there are lurking out there!

Stay safe and have fun!
N/A

Hmmm being over covered is probably largly a point of view. For me spyware is largly taken over as one of the fastest growing threats.

I think if I listed my setup, you'd probably think it was over kill, as I have 2 virus checkers, and a large array of anti-spyware software, process control software etc.

paulwade, most routers contain a built in firewall, but I would ditch the MS firewall.
The MS firewall only blocks incoming traffic, and your router already does this. Really behind a router you want a firewall which controls the applications much better. I would recommed zone alarm or kerio.
Stef
Grafter

I haven't quite 'taken the plunge' with Firefox yet - but I think I should...

I have been using ZASS 6 for the last couple of months and it has settled in nicely. Once configured its pretty 'fully automatic everything' and so far so good... (In fact I am just about to uninstall MS Antispywhare because of spurious messages...)

I like ZASS 6 (Even though I had to pay for it!) I gave it a 'good work out' during its 30 day free trial evaluation phase....

Maybe plusNET could offer it to us with a discount?

:mrgreen:

What does "Mr. Green" mean?
worcsdave
Grafter

I am now using CounterSpy - had to pay $19 for it, but it seems very good; easy updates and several very good features such as track erasing.
N/A

There is no need for so much software!

I use:

Firewall: Sygate Pro
Anti-Virus: NOD32
Spyware Cleaners: Spybot/Ad-Aware

Use Opera or Firefox as your browser and have some common sense when browsing or installing software and you wont have any issues.
N/A

westerlea,

I would have to disagree with your statement, spyware these days often requires many different programs to ensure you've caught it all. Spybot and adware are good, but they don't pick up everything.

Trojanhunter is worth having, as not virus checkers are than good at detecting trojans.
N/A

westerlea,

I would have to disagree with your statement, spyware these days often requires many different programs to ensure you've caught it all. Spybot and adware are good, but they don't pick up everything.

Trojanhunter is worth having, as not virus checkers are than good at detecting trojans.

What you have to remember is that you don't need programs which will catch every piece of spyware, virus or trojan because that is being OTT.

It is not like you are going to under attack from every piece of spyware/virus/trojan, the majority of Trojans in trojanhunters database are meaningless and will never make there way near Joe Bloggs PC.

You have to ask yourself, how does spyware/virus/trojans get on your pc in the first place? they don't just appear there for no reason and common sense when browsing or installing software is more important then having countless security software.

You often find that even when someone has :
- Firewall
- Anti Virus Software
- Trojan Cleaner
- Three Spyware Scanners

They still don't keep away all these nasties and this is because the user has no real knowledge of protecting their pc and are just installing every piece of security software under the sun.

I run NOD32, Sygate Pro, use Opera/Firefox as my browser and thats all I need and I never get any spyware/virues/trojans, plus I visit sites which most people on here would not think of going on and I use P2P, so it is not like I have the surfing behaviour of Mother Teresa!
N/A

westerlea,

I can see your point and in some ways I agree with you. It is easy to go over the top with this software and often not all of it is required. I guess a lot depends also on what you use your connection for, as you already stated.

I would add to that list of yours software like Process Guard, since this prevents firewalls/anti-virus software from being terminated by a virus or trojan. I also use Prevx-Pro, and worm guard.

The other simple one is to use spybot to lock out changes to IE, and to always use a different browser (as you mentioned) such as opera, firefox or deer park.
jabb0
Grafter

Xoftspy.

I didnt see that mentioned anywhere on this list.
It will do a scan fr free but will not delete unless u pay for it.

However dont get scared.

I was sure i ahd some sort of nasty thingy on my PC, thing is everything, and i mean EVERYTHING listed in the above posts couldnt find it.

So i got word about Xoftspy, after i had run all the others many times, i ran Xoftspy... and low and behold ... it found a rather obscure registry entry which it didnt like. So i followed the path it gave me (remember you have to pay for the program before it will delete, so i had to do this manualy), deleted the registry entry and hey presto.

I cant remember the specifics, but it found what the others couldnt, therefore gets a gr8 big hug from me. It gave me my compo back.

Granted you would have to a lil computer savy to get the job done (unless u want to pay).

Im telling ya it will always have a space on my hard drive...
N/A

I agree with Jabbo to some extent. There are alway nasties that require some know how to get rid of them.
I frequently get given my kids friends computers that don't work simply because eg. they have used msn and opened inocuos/tempting files. With two different computers I ran the usual software but still had to use specific tools off the symantec site to actually nail the nasties. xoftspy is good, it gets rid of the lop addon that spybot and adaware couldn't remove - again there is a remover available F.O.C. -but you have to find it.

I often just google the symptoms and somone has had the same trouble before and can name the nasty.