cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Choosing Forum Software Please!

Community Veteran

Up until a couple of days ago, my website had a large PHPBB forum - it consisted of 149 boards, sorted into three tiers of forums. However, some of that "tier" information was lost (due to reasons I won't go into). This means all of my posts are now in one board.

Now, previously, I'd been relying on a mod on PHPBB to give me the sub/tiered forum capabilities. However, I don't wish to use a mod on PHPBB anymore (again, due to reasons I won't go in to).

So, is there any forum software that you know of that supports three tiers of forums? By that I mean...

--Windows
----Hardware
------Printers
------Scanners
----Software
------Games
------Office progs
--Macintosh etc.

... just as an example. So far I've looked in to PHPBB (obviously), Ikonboard, Invision Power Board and XMD (aka. Extreme Message Board). I know vB will do what I want, but it will only do so if I cough up $160 (about £99), which I don't wish to do.

As always, thanks in advance for any help! Cheesy

Thomas
6 REPLIES
N/A

I'd always go with phpBB. Although that functionality you want isn't available yet, the next version of phpBB does include this as standard. Are you prepared to wait?

I just published a long article onmy site reviewing the major forum packages which will also be published on Sitepoint in the next 2 weeks (due to their scheduling). You can view the article on Olate now here.
Community Veteran

Yes, I know PHPBB2.2 will include sub forums (and unlimited at that). However, I don't really want to wait... I'd rather find something that will allow me to use sub forums now, rather than in a year's time or whatever.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Thomas
Community Veteran

You can pull off snapshops of 2.2 (actually 2.1 dev branch) from:

http://area51.phpbb.com

Perhaps the beta is in good enough form to use already?

B.
Community Veteran

Afraid not... I've investigated that option quite a bit, and even just clicking around area51 I get errors and things. Besides, it's not exactly great practive to run half-made software on a website! Smiley

Thomas
N/A

I have used the CVS of phpbb2.2 and it is very good. But there are still some things that need to be sorted - the PM functions don't work for example. Plus it will have bugs and so on.
Community Veteran

Well, as Zubel pointed out, we can all pretty much use it because of the area51 boards! Smiley

I really really wish Invision Power Board accepted one more level of sub forums... then I'd be all over it (relatively speaking, of course)!

Thomas