cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help About Deleting From FTP

N/A

Hi i have hosted files to do with my own forum but when i tryed to delete them i deleted most of them except 3 and they wont delete the problem that it says is

Request denied.
Verify that the file or folder exists and that you have the necessary permissions on the server to perform the requested operation

They just wont delete Cry

please help i have tryed everything the files are called phpBB2 and Cache

Please Help , Youll Be A Hero If Ya Can . Maybe u can clear everything of my site ( Im talking to the people who work at plusnet) That wud be a real help if you could take everything off my site

-Greetz-
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Who are they owned by? If it's wwwuser then only PlusNet can delete them and you need to raise a ticket to have them deleted.
N/A

Files in use cannot delete? Ivan

Hello kendo23,

No! I think the reason you cannot delete these files has NOTHING to do with user rights or permissions. I think you cannot delete these files because there are technically still in use bye another process or still have a hold of a chunk of working memory.

The only way these files can now be deleted is if you KILL the process which has a hold of them still. There are x2 choices here 1) Re-booting the machine will release the threads & memory which usually works 2) get the administrator to KILL the process via task manager or tasklist command.

I'm confident this should work then you should be able to delete the files.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

@Ivan Even if the files are on the Plus Net web serverHuhHuh

@kendo This happens periodically.

If you cant alter the permissions for the files via your ftp client then raise a ticket and support will sort it for you.
N/A

1) what would the process be under

2) how do i raise a ticket ?

Im really sorry people im knew to this Cry Thx alot for helping me out
N/A

Hi kendo,

Raise a ticket by clicking "Help" at the top of any page on the portal and select Contact Us from the options on the left.

Probably best letting the support guys sort this one.
N/A

Replying

Hi Kendo23 & pcsni,

In reply YES! even if the files are on a Plusnet Webserver the same thing applies. The dead giveaway is the name of the files concerned i.e. phpBB2 and Cache (Cache will be using memory or will still have a hold of a block of memory, or a even a stale session of memory).

I have no idea what the process would be called but possibly PHP something or other?? I dont know because I didnt install the application and I dont know how the server is setup. But I stand bye the principal of what I have said before (from my own experience this is the most likely cause of this problem) I've seen this many times before & a re-boot or process kill will work.

**You will have to contact PN support and tell them the problem and tell them what I said to you I'm sure they will understand this. Best to phone if you can,speak to a real human being.

**As I said before this problem has NOTHING to do with file permissions or folder permissions FTP or otherwise its a process / memory related problem.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

ok i shall see what i can do , i shall get back to you if i need help
N/A

Kendo23,

Log in to the cgi server then type ps -Au | grep <your username> - if it shows anything more than your login processes then you've left a process running. IF you own it you can kill it with a kill -9 <processid>. (Becareful, kill -9 is the nuclear option so you might want to try kill -SIGHALT first or SIGINT etc)