cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard disk locked out

DerekB
Grafter

Hard disk locked out

A PN friend with Broadband - running Win 2000 - up to date AVG antivirus and Zone Alarm Firewall - told me 2 days ago that the computer went through the normal Bios start up but then failed and brought up a large red notice (presumably from AVG) telling her to use F1 as the computer had refused to start.
F1 did nothing - she tried a Safe Mode start - that went nowhere.

Her local computer "fixer" tells her that he had 5 complaints of that last week and that she needs a new hard disk as the disk is "locked" ie Read and Write permission is denied.

He's usually very helpful and knowledgeable - not going to deliberately rip her off with something she doesn't need.

Any thoughts on this? he is assuming a computer virus.

Thanks

Derek
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hard disk locked out

well.. you could try the "remove AVG" road..

go get your self a windows 98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com)

and go and del the files from c:\program files\avg ?

this wont "uninstall" it but it will stop it from running. of course you could use uber command line skills to stop it from booting at startup by ediitng ur startup.ini / win.ini files loacated in c:\winows c:\windows\system32

or.. you could get ur windows xp disk.. shove it in the drive, and do "repair" or "install and leave current file system intact" the latter will install XP again however it will leave all the files and folders (other than those in c:\windows) intact, so all they would have to do is reinstall all the applications they want.

buz
DerekB
Grafter

Hard disk locked out

OK thanks I'll pass that on - although I would have expected him to have already tried using a boot disk to get in to the system.

Derek
N/A

Hard disk locked out

Some machines have bios protection against viruses altering the boot sector. If the virus is attempting to alter the boot sector the machine may not start.

As mentioned before, try starting the machine from a boot disk, see if you can get access to the hard drive.
N/A

Hard disk locked out

check in the bios its self if there is an option to disable the AV checker (rare.. but could be there)

if all else fails format :p
DerekB
Grafter

Hard disk locked out

As my friend couldn't wait she has had a new hard disk put in her machine and she's now reloading :-(

She's sending me the old hard disk so I can check it out on my spare machine.

I'll post an update once I have it -

Derek
N/A

Hard disk locked out

i can hook you up with some data recovery apps if you need.. drop me a pm if you like

buz