cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML/CSS help required

N/A

HTML/CSS help required

I'm creating a DHTML menu for my hobby site. Currently it's a static menu, but I need to add more options in drop menus.

I started work on this a couple of days ago and had all sorts of trouble with TABLEs and V4 browsers. So I ditched the table layout and went for absolute-positioned DIVs. This has enabled much simpler code to be produced, but somewhere along the line, I seem to have developed new problems.

The menu is a row of five options and the first option should drop a menu when hovered. There will be more menus later, but I need to get it to work first. It works fine in all browsers apart from V4. IE4 does a weird thing with the JavaScript, but I haven't tackled that yet; my main worry is the cocked-up layout in NS4. For some reason only the first option is displayed and the "text-align: centre" kills the absolute positioning.

I've spent ages going through the code with no luck. So I've stripped out all content apart from the menu DIV and put the CSS into the page HEAD. There are no graphics, but the file requests a JavaScript file to show/hide DIVs (not required to see the problem).

I've put it online at http://www.yammer.co.uk/test.html
Please have a look at the code and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Re: HTML/CSS help required

my main worry is the cocked-up layout in NS4. For some reason only the first option is displayed and the "text-align: centre" kills the absolute positioning.
99.9% of layouts using anything advanced are mucked up in NS4.
N/A

Re: HTML/CSS help required

99.9% of layouts using anything advanced are mucked up in NS4.

Well, I know that if you can get it to work in NS4 it'll work in anything ( Wink ), but it did actually look okay in NS4 for a while.

Something I did, broke it. Something in the DIV/CSS has upset Netscape's delicate constitution.

Either I go through all the permutations and elimate the offending element, or I have to start *again*.
csogilvie
Grafter

HTML/CSS help required

I had a quick look (I'm actually in a Java Lab so can't muck around) but can't see anything immediately obvious. Why not remove a bit at a time til it works?