cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Virus Notification

N/A

HSBC Virus Notification

Hi,

I understand that if a machine on my ADSL connection is transmitting on TCP port 135 then PlusNet will redirect me to a web page warning me about a possible virus infrection - all well and good.

However, can someone explain to me why I get redirected to this page when (and only when) I try to visit www.hsbc.co.uk - all other surfing, including www.hsbc.com, is fine.

Other machines on this connection are fine, so it is something to do with this individual machine.

I'm not aware of a virus or worm that only transmits when you visit a particular site?

(I'm currently running a full A/V scan as I type, however I was curious as to why only this one URL seems to be affected.)

Confoozed
D'Essen
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

HSBC Virus Notification

Have you scanned for spyware/malware using Adaware and spybot search and destroy?

Have you tried other online vrus scanners (no virus scanner is 100% reliable in detecting all viruses).

Have you scanned for trojans?

Details of links to various apps to do the above can be found in General: Essential Security software.
N/A

HSBC Virus Notification

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I'm conscious that the AVG on the machine in question is not necessarily the greatest, so I have also also got a clean bill of health from HouseCall.

Adware also comes through clean! I'll have a look for Trojans now...

I'm still puzzled as to why it's only one website that I can't get hold of? I would have presumed that the PlusNet message would be indiscriminate to any particular site.

Regards,
D'Essen
Community Veteran

HSBC Virus Notification

It is possible accessing that site is triggering some software/virus/malware to attempt to make a connection on port 135 to a remote system. Sometimes key loggers do this when they record keystrokes and send the details to a remote system where things like logins/passwords can be extracted.

Bring up the Windows task manager and see if there are any apps tunning in the background that you are not familiar with - links to sites that describe what background apps do can be found in the security tutorial link I gave earlier.

Also when you run adaware / spybot, make sure you download the latest updates as both have been out for a while. The same applies to any AV software - make sure the virus defs are up to date.
N/A

HSBC Virus Notification

Hi,

Thanks again for your time.

In short, yes my definitions were up to date - I checked that before running any tests.

Everything, including the trojan scanner came through clean! And still no joy!

In the end, I cleared the local web-cache and that resolved the issue :roll: Wish I had thought of that in the first place! :!:

thanks
D'Essen