cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! (.htaccess - I'm probably an idiot)

N/A

Oh please, someone tell me what I did wrong now. I am such an idiot.

I wanted to put a .htaccess file with a page redirect into my webspace. Uploaded it to my .htdocs subdirectory - (www.astigmaticeye.co.uk and www.visualxpo.plus.com), which was probably the wrong location in the first place, - and in doing so I have caused an "internal server error".

I can't actually see in my FTP programme where the .htaccess file really ended up but my guess is that I overwrote an already existing .htaccess fileHuh

Can someone please help me sort out this mess!

Thanks
Wolf
4 REPLIES
N/A

Try setting your FTP client to display hidden files, or if it provides you with an option to set the command used for listing, use "ls -la"
N/A

Don't think I can do either - I am using WS_FTP LE (very basic) and I cannot find anything in the options where I could select to view hidden files.

I can list the files, but there does not seem to be a .htaccess file anywhere - not sure if the list command does display hidden files.

What do I do now?

Wolf
N/A

Okay - I was wrong. I can view hidden files and I did manage to delete the offending .htaccess and everything works fine again now.

Thanks,
Wolf
N/A

Hi, I am having same trouble getting an Internal server error and using the list command cannot see any .htaccess files in parent directory! On viewing the command pane of cuteFTP ver 6, it seems to be trying various storage and retrieval commands. Should the rougue .htaccess file appear in the /htdocs directory or in the command pane?