cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good ISPs to pick?

N/A

Good ISPs to pick?

Sadly, I think its time I moved on from PN. Over the past 2-3 months my speed as been dismal. I cant streem watch my movies, no chance of downloading and browseing forums is a nightmare.

So, any one know of a good isp thats reliable Tongue And alows me to DL? Im not a heavy user at all. I never go over my 1-2gig allowence here. I just want it to be reliable.

Also, gameing friendly is a must. A big must. 95% of my time on line is MMORPG gameing ( World of Warcraft )

Basicly, a low cost ISP. ( Same as PN I guess )
Reliable with downloading. ( OK / Good speeds on P2P )
Gamer friendly. ( A must )

Thanks Cheesy

:roll:

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Topic moved to the appropriate forum.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Good ISPs to pick?

Might want to look at one of the Entanet resellers... And before PN slag them off, PN should get their own house in order before running down other ISPs.
BenG
Grafter

Good ISPs to pick?

well I read some reviews on ISP yesterday and to be honst from what I seen none seem to blow my socks off from the UK. either there just total rubish of expencive.

but before you do go I whould have a look at some reviews and make your own choice.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/products3067.html

also I did find this looked a little prommising like, but I do not know of hand anyone that has joined them. but you can have a look.

http://www.newnet.co.uk/

also I know a few ppl on BT-Boardband and they say it by far one of the best, tho I used to be on Dialup with them before comming here, and they were very good with me, customer support is by far the best I seen. but they are a little more expencive.

anyway hope that may help a little.
O just one note, one ISP i been told to aviod at all costs is Tiscali, my m8 is with them and it well bad. I been told.
N/A

Good ISPs to pick?

I think it's a case of you get what you pay for. And, just maybe, the grass isn't always greener.

A while back I was renting a flat in London and signed up with Euro1Net after reading good reviews on adslguide.org They did an 18 month pay upfront contract that worked out at £10/month including UK calls. We got a MaxDSL connection that was consistently around 5-6Mbps. Until one day it stopped. Because BT Wholesale had pulled the plug on them for non-payment. Fortunately I had paid the fee by card and got most of my money back.
N/A

Good ISPs to pick?

I would be inclined to take a good look at NewNet's Home Lite product which for £12.95 per month would give you up to 3GB of prepaid bandwidth. There is no cost to migrate in and the contract is monthly. Best of all there is no traffic shaping or port blocking. I have the NewNet Home S product and the connection has been totally reliable and fast. http://www.newnet.co.uk/broadband/home.php

I am not a gamer but you could always ask questions on the forums at www.thinkbroadband.com. You might also like to take a look at http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php to compare ISP's.
shellsong
Grafter

Good ISPs to pick?

Might want to look at one of the Entanet resellers... And before PN slag them off, PN should get their own house in order before running down other ISPs.

It's interesting to see that Entanet have decided to introduce traffic management but the method is lightyears away from PlusNet's dictatorial decision making about what types of traffic you may or may not use!
"After noticing severe packet loss on Friday night we have introduced an anti-loss tool. The tool works by reducing the maximum rate limit when capacity hits a certain point and then allows it back up slowly if the capacity returns. [ .. ] The variation in limits are applied on a per central basis so that if only one has a problem then only it has its limits adjusted. Users will be able to switch centrals and the limit will be reset to that of the central they reconnect to."

"The rate limit changes only happen once the 5 minute average usage for that central hits 96%, once this occurs then the maximum rate limit is reduced by 500kbps. [.. ] One minute later the next 5 minute average is calculated, if usage remains above 96% then a further 500kbps will taken from the maximum limit and this will continue to a minimum of 2Mbps. [..] Once usage fall below 91% then the rate limit is raised by 200kbps. If the capacity hovers between 91% and 96% then the limit will continue at its current setting."

STUDY AND LEARN PLUSNET! (But don't forget to increase capacity-- your customers deserve it!)