cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting lots of 'undeliverable mail' messages

N/A

Hi

I'm getting tons of 'Undeliverabal Mail' and 'Returned Mail' messages sent to my inbox for messages that I have not sent. On average I get about 5-10 of these messages a day.

I've been told it could be that my pc has a virus or is being 'used' by some malicious background software to send out messages.

I have Norton Anti-Virus 2004 with the latest virus definitions. I did a full system scan with both Norton and Ad-Aware. Found nothing....

Anyone else getting this problem ? Could it be pn mail servers causing the problem ?

Cheers
8 REPLIES
N/A

I am getting the same problem. Useing McAfee internet suite 2006 all definitions up-to-date. Firewall in operation, Microsoft adaware in operation. The problem is the returned headers would seem to be correct indicating that mail is being bouced although the desinations supposedly sent to are not in any address book I have. Further to this, someone has filed an abuse report for my domain and PlusNet has sent the full message to me. Is there anything in that I have registered a domain with 1&1 and forward email to mail boxes at PLusNet. OutlookExpress is set up to send emails as from my domain not xyz@briston.plus.com but xyz@mydomain.co.uk All bounced and abuse report show from xyz@mydomain.co.uk
N/A

According to Service Status reports Plus Net are currently dealing with a 'delayed incoming mail' problem with their mail servers... could this be related ? Do I sense a plus.net-wide problem ?

Anyone else got this problem ? please post here
N/A

if you are getting "Message undeliverable" e-mails for messages you've not sent then chances are you have been Joe Jobbed, that is someone is sending spam with your e-mail address as the 'from' address.

What can you do about this? Nothing really, since there is nothing (that has been widely adopted at least) to stop anyone faking e-mails in this way.

Diloch,
Andrew D Wiles
N/A

Nasty... very nasty

Anyone know how I can find out who the culprit is ?

Even better is there a way that I can only allow SMTP outgoing mail to be sent via designated addresses ?

[Response from Plus Net would be great here]
N/A

If you get a lot you can clear all the mail at one here

http://usertools.plus.net/delmail/

I had it and I was getting 1000 per hour

You can have you default mail box blocked so only ones with mailboxs setup will get through
newinvention
Grafter

I've just posted a note about this problem on one of the other discussion boards .... 'cos I've been having this problem now for some weeks, though the incidence has gone down from about 30-40 per day to around 10. I'm assuming that someone who has my email address in their address book is infected with a virus and their PC is just sending stuff out purportedly from me.

What I would like to know though, although I'm getting a lot of undeliverable messages ... are any of these things actually getting through to people? I haven't had any emails telling me off for sending 'spam' .... just wondered ... it's a pain in the backside anyway.
N/A

I have entered into another thread on the very same thing, but I can assure you that some of these emails are getting through and I have been reported for spam. After doing everything that I can think of to check I can only say 'not from me guv' but it has left a 'nasty taste in my mouth'. Like some others, I am at my wits end
N/A

As above, there's not really a great deal you can do about it. It's spam email being sent out with forged headers to make it look like it comes from your domain or subdomain.

In the past I've had periods when i get 1000+ bounce messages per hour. The best way I found to deal with it was to set Spambayes up on Outlook. That soon figured out to filter the bounce messages as junk.

It seems to be happening at the moment for the domain of the company I work for, though fortunately it's only running at about 20 messages per day at the moment. Unfortunately, as I look after the company's IT, they land in my mailbox :roll: