cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting access to linux terminal from windows

N/A

Hi,

How can I login to my plusnet account so that I can have access to a terminal running linux/unix. I have done this before using Terra term on another linux box. What address/login should I use for plusnet?

Cheers for help in advance.
R.

===edit!!=====

Sorry,
let me clarify... :?
I can get onto the cgi server, but is there anyway to access my standard webspace by telnet or terra term?

Thanks
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Perhaps if you explain what you want to do we can suggest how.

You cannot telnet to your www webspace - it does not support shell access, only FTP - but you can to your cgi webspace if you have that activated. Details on how to do this can be found in the following tutorial found in the tutorials and FAQs forum: Servers: CGI/Shell Server Basics

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Thanks, that answers my question, basically you can't Sad

I'm just sick of trying to use rubish FTP clients and wanted to do some simple text editing using vi right on the server. What I was trying to do is get the password protection to work, and it did for a while ( I followed the tutorial and some posts here) but now it's not working and it looks like the .htaccess and .htpasswd files have disappeared Evil

Ta,
R.
N/A

OK ok ... sorry again.

The reason why I can't see the .htaccess file is because cuteftp is filtering it out and I can't change the filters unless I buy it (not likely, doesn't seem like a good ftp client).

The reason why the password protection appeared not to be wroking was because of some password caching or page caching the IE was doing. It never asked me for a password even if I put a ? at the end of the address to get it to reload from the server. However when I changed the password then it would work again.

That seems to be me sorted, sorry about wasting ur time! Shockedops:
N/A

Have you used a client called PUTTY. Its a single exe file, and can allow you to use either ssh, telnet. You use the command prompt as you would on Linux. Havent tried it with plus net, but its a possible solution
csogilvie
Grafter

Putty works for connecting to the CGI server, but there is no SSH access to the homepages server. Details on getting putty and connecting to the CGI server are in this tutorial