cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ftontpage Feedback form - How do I read the feedback

N/A

Newbie question - apologies if I'm appearing dense...

I used the standard Frontpage web site template to create my site. One of the features this creates is a feedback form. How do I view the feedback which people have entered?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Most feedback forms use email to send the feedback text to you but they normally have to be configured so the form knows where to send the email to.
N/A

I took a look at the source code for the feedback page and its got the following lines in there :-

<form method="POST" action="_vti_bin/shtml.exe/feedback.htm" webbot-action="--WEBBOT-SELF--" onSubmit="">
<!--webbot bot="SaveResults" u-file="_private/feedback.txt" s-format="TEXT/TSV" s-label-fields="TRUE" s-builtin-fields="Date Time REMOTE_NAME REMOTE_USER HTTP_USER_AGENT" s-form-fields startspan --><input TYPE="hidden" NAME="VTI-GROUP" VALUE="0"><!--webbot bot="SaveResults" endspan i-checksum="43374" -->

This seems to indicate that its putting the results in a file in the _private directory, called feedback.txt... If I try and access this file I get an access denied message saying I don't have permission to access it.
N/A

From within FP open the form - right click on the form fields - form properties-options - email tab - enter email address here.

Also enter email address on the form properties page aswell.

These details apply to FP 2003. Cant remember layout of earlier versions.

The private folder is created by FP by default. You may have to name a folder in your FP space where the data can be stored. The default folder may not actually exist.
N/A

Thanks for that. I did it all and published the modified page, but it wouldn't work - when I tried adding some feedback, I got an error message saying that FP extensions couldn't be run from this page?Huh
N/A

Just a thought and apologies if I'm being daft, have you enabled your FP webspace and uploaded the site to you fp.username.plus.com space?
N/A

You're not being daft.

But yes... All uploads fine to fp.trumanwallace.plus.com, and the feedback saved to file(s) works fine... its just the email that won't go...
arlehaven
Grafter

Frontpage - Enquiry form

Firstly, never apologise for thinking your dense! We all had to start somewhere and at least your trying.
Web site looks good, had a we peek. Smiley

Assuming your still having problems:

Open your site in frontpage, open the page that contains your enquiry form.
Right click on the form and select form properties. (Forgive me if you have already done all this)
In the Send to field, filename should read _private/form_results.csv
and Email field should read "your email address" that you want the results to go to.
Click ok.
This is the important bit.
You will get a warning stating that the form cannot be configured to send results via Email and a question, Would you like to remove the Email recipient? Select No.
Save your page and upload it to your site. If you have done all this it should work.
The .csv file that can be found in your private folder, when downloaded (transfered using ftp) can be opened and viewed in Excell. This document will keep a record of all the enquiries made using your form.

I hope this goes some way to resolving your problem.

Noel.
N/A

ll uploads fine, its just the email which won't work... And the error message seems to indicate something serverside...
N/A

Hi there,

Is the error message appearing when you are in design mode in Front Page or when you are completing the form on-line?

We have tested the on-line form for you and no errors are reproduced.

If the error is displayed on your local machine then this is normal.

When the error message is displayed if you get the option to select Yes or No, select No or the email field will not work.

Hope that makes sense.
N/A

Its without error at the moment because I've turned off the e-mail feedback and am putting it to 2 test files instead....

I'll turn it back on again when I get a chance and see what u think...
N/A

Right... I've put the email option back in... get the same error message about FP extensions... check it out at the feedback on http://fp.trumanwallace.plus.com

Suggestions welcome!
N/A

I'd be grateful for any advice as to why the feedback on http://fp.trumanwallace.plus.com doesn't work - I know the fp extensions are loaded cos the file posting alone works fine... but email won't...