cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Software

N/A

Free Software

I have just started a site of free software. I mean GNU software or software that is totally free (not shareware)

I have started by putting software on I know but I need your help if you use any great free software you would recomend let me know so I can add it to the site.

Link
8 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Free Software

On my Kubuntu based Firefox the first para on your site appears to be obscured by your rather handsome GNU Wink
Community Veteran

Free Software

Good for you ... I'll certainly have a think about other packages I use or know of.
The first thoughts that spring to mind are :
I think some of the packages you are linking to are not GNU (like Avast or AVG) so maybe it would be better not to make the site look as though it's exclusively a portal to all things GNU?
Would you like us to post links and suggestions on this thread or PM you?
As the spirit of GNU is all about openness, I wondered why you chose to use Microsoft logos on your buttons?
Paul
pacem
Grafter

Free Software

Grr nasty CSS doesn't render at all well if you enlarge your font size slightly (CTRL+ + in FireFox).

Anyway, have you seen the open CD. http://www.theopencd.org/

It's a collections of GNU software available for windows.

Oh, and Opera is not Free as in freedom or GNU, it is only free as in beer.

Cheers :-)

Paul.<><
N/A

Free Software

I have changed the IE logo for firefox. I have pointed out that some of the software is not GNU but free. Some things are to good to miss for free and why argue about the licence if its totaly free.

The main idea of the site is to put a lot of stuff all in one place thats free and I know to be good so people can save a bundle. Its a new site so it will take time to get it going
shellsong
Grafter

Free Software

On my Kubuntu based Firefox the first para on your site appears to be obscured by your rather handsome GNU Wink

Interesting! It's OK viewed in Konqueror--I don't know enough about webpage design to know why it's not displaying properly in Firefox, maybe it's something to do with the way Frontpage does things

Ho hum! :?
Community Veteran

Free Software

Displays fine using Opera. Speaking of which:-

Huh?
pacem
Grafter

Free Software

Displays fine using Opera. Speaking of which:-

Huh?

If you go to mwright's page linked in his first post, you will see the tennets of free (GNU) software. It was a semantic point that has already been acknowleged, but basically Opera doesn't meet any of the tennets: the current version is free to use but I cannot change the code (e.g. fix bugs) or give it to others, and there is no guarentee that the next version will be free.

Paul.<><
Community Veteran

Free Software

Ah, I see!

Thx for taking the time to reply m8. Smiley