cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Parking and PlusNet Webspace

ratbag
Grafter

This is very interesting to me but I have a question.

I have a domain name hosted with freeparking.co.uk who have a "Manage your own DNS Zone File" section on their site. They suggest you can use this and avoid moving the domain away from them. The support replies I've had said:
find out the DNS IP addresses from your new host and add them using the DNS manager.

Does anyone know what these are for plusnet, and how would I point it to my plusnet web space?

They have a "sub domain section" which has these options:

Sub Domain Name which has domainname.co.uk, www, mail etc.
Record Type should be "A" (I've understood that bit)
IPAddress or Fully Qualified Domain Name

Many thanks for any help.

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): This thread has been created from discussion in the Forum Tutorial on using the Domain Control System]
6 REPLIES
N/A

You can't currently use that method with PlusNet.

The method you describe is to use your remote providers name server to point to the PlusNet webservers, from which you then host your site.

PlusNet still have work to perform on there side to have this operational, but they do not do this unless you use one of the two methods below.

1: Change the IPSTAG to FORCE9

This will mean PlusNet control the administative side for you, and your domains is billed by them.

This would leave Freeparking with no further obligation to your domain.

2: Change the name servers to point to ns1.force9.net & ns2.force9.net

This means freeparking still bill you for the domain, but PlusNet control where you point your DNS records.
ratbag
Grafter

@acarr
OK thanks for that info that sorts it out for me. To be honest when I asked the question I had already changed the name servers as you suggested in no. 2 but I was getting second thoughts, but now you've told me I can't do what I was asking I'll carry on with method 2.

The trouble is, when I go to transfer in it tells me errors occured and to make sure that the name servers have been changed (can't remember the exact wording) and this has been done. Now the domain name brings up a page not found and I can't transfer it in. I'll have to raise a ticket I suppose.
Thanks for your help.
N/A

To transfer a domain using method 2, you have to raise a link:contact us ticket.

There is a path designed for this process.
ratbag
Grafter

@acarr
Ok, got it. I raised a ticket and hopefully all should go well. I think their 'transfer in' section could have been a bit clearer on that though.
Thanks very much for your help.
jberry
Grafter

I think their 'transfer in' section could have been a bit clearer on that though.

The new DCS (domain control system) is almost ready to go live, making all this manual intervention on our part a thing of the past Smiley
Community Veteran

Remind me when it happens and I'll update this tutorial.

Chris