cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed IP query

norton35
Dabbler

Fixed IP query

Hope I'm in the right forum for this question!

I'm currently developing a website driven by PHP/MySQL for a European client. The database and website are hosted in California, and since I've got a PlusNet fixed IP address, I've got no problem getting access to the secure server from my home office.

However, next week I'll be in Paris covering an event for three days which will require me to have access to the database and website server to make regular updates. I've been told I'll have broadband access in Paris, but when I've asked for a domain name so I can pass it on to California to enable secure access, the French organisers say that isn't possible. I may be able to get the domain name when I arrive on Wednesday, but I'm not hopeful.

As a result I need a back-up plan, or two. My questions are:

1. Will I be able to dial-up using the 1470,08451400101 PlusNet number from Paris and still have my fixed IP address?

2. Is it possible to get the event organisers to modify their router modem settings to assign me my fixed IP address?

3. If the organisers still refuse to give me the domain name when I get there, how can I find out the Paris router's WAN IP address by myself? I'm using Mac OSX 10.4.7 on my G4 1.5Mhz PowerBook.

I'd really appreciate it if any experts can shed any light on my dilemma, or suggest another way to get access to the California server.

Many thanks
5 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Fixed IP query

1. Will I be able to dial-up using the 1470,08451400101 PlusNet number from Paris and still have my fixed IP address?

In my experience - yes. Even if your broadband router is connected at home. Your dial up will override this and receive your static IP address until you disconnect your modem (although your broadband connection will lose connectivity until the modem is disconnected)

2. Is it possible to get the event organisers to modify their router modem settings to assign me my fixed IP address?

3. If the organisers still refuse to give me the domain name when I get there, how can I find out the Paris router's WAN IP address by myself? I'm using Mac OSX 10.4.7 on my G4 1.5Mhz PowerBook.

Erm, I dunno. I guess you could always see what your IP address is as assigned by the organisers, and then perhaps tell your company to just permit all *.organisingcompany.fr addresses.. if you get my drift?
N/A

Fixed IP query

One potential problem with attempting to dial-up from abroad.
Lots of UK ISP's won't accept a connection from a foreign telephone line.
I'm not sure it this is the case with PN, I've never tried it.

I do know however, that its possible to use a UK mobile whilst abroad, as a modem to dial to the PN Service, and this works fine. Can get a little costly after a while, and don't expect lightning speeds though.

To find out the IP of the Paris Organisers:
http://www.mywanip.com/
Simple to remember, and does what it says on the tin.

Another option could be to set up a VPN tunnel to your home office, and connect to the secure servers via your home ADSL connection.
norton35
Dabbler

Fixed IP query

Many thanks for your reply. I figured I wouldn't be able to use dial-up because PN requires caller ID and you don't get that on International calls.
However that address you sent me is fantastic ... it's just what I'll need in Paris. As soon as I'm set up there I'll find out the WAN address and send it to my hosting service in California. Just what I needed ... once again, many, many thanks.
N/A

Fixed IP query

You should be OK using the 0845 number from abroad - I would have thought they are just fussy with the 0808 one with regards to CLI presentation. Don't prefix it with 1470 because that probably isnt a valid code in other countries.
N/A

Fixed IP query

I would like to add that it is worth looking into remote access solutions - I sometimes SSH into a server at home or use a simple VPN to do things via my home IP when i'm in a public location.

Another easy to remember site by the way:
www.whatismyip.com

Very simple to remember and does what it says on the tin.