cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewalls - software or hardware or both?

N/A

I have just started using Broadband using a PlusNet supplied Binatone ADSL2100 router. I have read lots of advice about the need for firewalls and obviously must take action to get firewall protection. I would like advice on whether to install software like Zone Alarm or enable the firewall on the router or do both. If the advice involves using the router firewall, can someone point me to where I can find information on how to enable and configure the Binatone firewall. I have searched the PlusNet discussion forums and the internet for info on the Bianatone firewall but have failed to find anything useful.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Yep, you need both a hardware and software firewall.

A hardware firewall will blocks ports, but not applications which is something a software firewall will do.

As for configuration of your router, try googling it.

Aaron
Proclus
Grafter

You should got a installation manuel witn router. This may help if you didnt
http://www.binatonebroadband.com/downloads/ADSL%202100%20-%204%20Port%20ADSL%20Ethernet%20Router/

You could always go into a supprt forum such as this. Although this forum doesnt supprot binatone there will be advice on setting and config of a firewall.If that doesnt help there will be many more support forums around.

Hope this helps Cheesy
N/A

Thanks for the replies. I did get a manual with the router but it only covered the basic set up procedures to connect to PlusNet. The URL you gave only contains the same information. I have tried googling the router and tried the Binatone website and both fail to give anything useful about understanding and configuring the firewall. Despite that I have enabled the router Firewall as set in the factory configuration but I am not sure what that protects against. I will also install Zone Alarm in the next few days in order to provide software protection too.

I will look at other support forums as you suggest but I am obviously looking for a basic primer in Firewalls. Can anyone can point me in the direction of such information?
bobgidden
Grafter

I will also install Zone Alarm in the next few days

Some folk find the newer version 5 (& 5.5) a bit .. picky .. (shall we say?) You can install version 4.5 if you scroll down the Free ZA download page, and this still provides good outgoing protection, and seems more stable.

I am obviously looking for a basic primer in Firewalls. Can anyone can point me in the direction of such information?

Try http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorials.html

HTH

BobG
N/A

Look'n'Stop , Kerio, Sygate and Outpost are also good firewalls and are fairly easy to setup and use.

Aaron
N/A

supposadly the latest version of ZA 5 has had the major bugs fixed so you can use that if you want, however sygate rules :p