cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall being constantly hit...70.85 & 70.86 ranges mos

suec45
Grafter

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happeneing?

On my brothers computer which is behind the same Linksys WAG54G with the firewall on he gets no attacks, yet mine happens every second. Mostly being pinged from 70.85 and 70.86 ranges but also others, just checking now I see others such as :-

213.178.115. something, its gone up so fast I cant write the whole number down.

This is the log from Zone alarm I am seeing these attacks, which is behind the firewall on the router (just a bit of extra protection I thougt, wont get used ! )

Has anyone any idea why this is happening?
3 REPLIES
N/A

Do you have an ports forwarded from your router? or connect using DMZ? Have you been using P2P ?
suec45
Grafter

Yes I have ports forwarded to the router, yes I use P2P (only on this computer too.

Why what are you suggesting GB?

DMZ is disabled.

EDIT: Thanks Gadget boy your reply gave me enough info to sort it out.

It was MediaSentry which had got my IP and was attacking me (picked up my IP thru Bitorrent)

I changed the ports I had forwarded for BT and it was stopped in its tracks by my Hardware firewall.

Thanks.

(I am still getting some attacks/pings but not as many by far, will have to find out what these are, I suspect they are something to do with emule as when I start emule up they stop.)
N/A

suec45,

Whenever you stop P2P software, even though you have actually stopped it on your PC it will be sometime before the clients on other people's PC's actually realise you've stopped. Therefore they will keep sending traffic to your IP. Your router will record these as DOS hits or something like it.
Your router will record these sorts of hits for some time after you turn off any P2P app, like eMule or Bit Torrent but it's nothing to worry about.