Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall advice

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Firewall advice

It appears that my security system has been compromised, and an auto dialler has dialled a mobile phone in Romania leaving me with a bill of £5. I have heard far worse stories, and so am not looking for any sympathy !

But as a result, I decided to do some housework and run a thorough anti-virus scan - I use AVG 7.0. Nothing was reported. So I also did a spyware scan using Lavasoft, and again nothing obvious was found except some old cookies six months old which I deleted; however, I am sure they were harmless as they were found in a back-up copy of the Windows directory of another pc of mine - I just mirror backups on all my neworked pcs so that I can restore easily if anything were to go drastically wrong - in other words, I do not think those cookies had anything to do with my active system.

Something strange happened subsequently. I discovered that my firewall (Zone Alarm) settings had all been deleted, and nothing was being allowed through any more, which meant I keep getting warnings whenever I try to do anything, even things like anti-virus updates. Prior to my av and spyware scans, the firewall was working as it had always done; this change only occurred subsequent to the scans. I can therefore only conclude that the av scan must reset the firewall. Can anyone confirm that this is likely to happen ?

However, that is one question. The next question concerns the new firewall settings. When I installed the firewall several months ago, I used the default settings, which have now all appantly disappeared. For instance, the overview informs me that there have been 289 high rated attacks, all blocked, but when I look in the log, there is nothing there. The log data has also gone.

I have therefore allowed the obvious programmes tlike av update to access the internet, but do not know what to do about Internet Explorer or the MAPI spooler (mapisp32.exe). I assume that I must allow both of these also, otherwise I would not be able to access the internet myself. But as the original settings were the default settings, I do not know how these two items would have been set up originally.

Can anyone help ?

TVM.

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Topic moved to more appropriate forum]
3 REPLIES
N/A

Firewall advice

Firstly, I would run a TrendMicro Housecall Online Scan - it's free, and pretty simple to use. Secondly, I would uninstall AdAware and then download the latest version from their site. I thought I had the latest version (it told me there were no updates available), but there was a newer version available for download. I'd also recommend getting Spybot S&D, updating it, and then running a full system scan.

As for the firewall problem, I've had this happen to me in the past (not related to a dialler or anything though). All I did was uninstalled and then reinstalled ZoneAlarm with the default settings. Then, when any program tried to access the internet, I could make sure I wanted to allow it. If there was a process name I was unsure of, a quick Google search usually revealed what it was.

And yes, you need to allow Internet Explorer access to the internet, otherwise it will not work. Google suggests MAPI Spooler is related to Outlook/Outlook Express. If I might make a further suggestions, I'd advise using a different browser such as FireFox (free) or Opera (not free). This lowers the chance of you getting spyware on your system in the future.
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Firewall advice

Thanks, just what I wanted to know.

Nick
N/A

Firewall advice

Opera is free, but the free version displays Ads from Google, in the top corner