cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall Software - Recomendations

N/A

Hi All,

I've been testing out a few software firewalls, and I want some ideas from people of ones, they use and like.

I'm currently testing Outpost Pro 2.1, It's really good, but the log feature is a really pain. I can't find a way to stop it logging certain connections and thus it fills up the log very quickly. Each entry is scanned by Nod32 and as it creates lots every seconds this slows down my machine :shock:

Anyway, ideas of how to stop this or good firewall software (except norton or kaspersky)

Cheers,

Aaron
23 REPLIES
N/A

Zonealarm has been great for me, the only problem with the free version is what it doesnt support ICS (as a server).

The 4.5.x version is far more stable than the 5.x version though imho.
N/A

I had heard that version 4.5 was better, what about the free one?
Community Veteran

Download it and try it.
Ive found it pretty good.
N/A

Hi John,

Do you mean the free one? or 4.5?

Cheers

Aaron
Community Veteran

The free one but I'm not sure if thats still at version 4.5 as I get popups from them saying that a later version is out and do I want to download it.
As mentioned earlier I believe that version 5 has suffered a few problems so Ive set the option to "No thanks remind me in 6 months".
I still have the install file for the earlier version so if you find you cant get it let me know and Ill upload it and give you the url to download it.
In fact just looking I have versions 4.538 , 4.594 and 5.590 stored on my back up drive.
N/A

Hi John,

I've managed to download version 5.0 and I've found version 4.594 from a site via google.

I'll try 4.5 rather than 5.0, considering the number of problems I've heard people have been having with it.

Thanks for the offer though Cheesy

Aaron
N/A

Ps John, do you know any sites worth looking at for firewall configuration (hardware)

I've configured my netgear (DG834) pretty well, but I'm just looking around for extra information and advice on firewall configuration. Just in case I've missed something.

Cheers,

Aaron
Community Veteran

No even though my router D-Link 504 has firwall built in I've never bothered to try and configure it. Mainly because the Manual doesn't give you much information and I've found it so easy to configure Zone alarm.
N/A

Ok, no worries, thanks anyway.

I've configured most of the rules I need on my router, but I want the software firewall as a catch all and to control applications, something a hardware firewall can't.

Cheers,

Aaron
Community Veteran

Yes very true that probably another reason why Ive never bothered with the routers firewall because its only one way.

The Zone Alarm one will ask you everytime something wants to connect either to the Internet or your local network. Once your happy that the reason is legit then you can tell it to always allow that particular program.
N/A

Since I write software for a living, I'm well aware how easy it can be to bypass things, via flaws in the O/S. Hence I won't trust everything to a software firewall, no matter how good.

I prefer to have a mixture of both, with the hardware firewall limiting certain ports to certain IP addresses etc.. I block most ports, except those I need, thus limiting the danger if I ever suffer a trojan or virus. It's not perfect.

However, I'm still learning, so I'm not 100% sure what's best.

Cheers,

Aaron
michaelscott
Grafter

Re: Firewall Software - Recomendations

Hi All,

I've been testing out a few software firewalls, and I want some ideas from people of ones, they use and like.

I use Kerio Personal Firewall. It is by far the best software firewall I have ever used (much better than Zone Alarm).
N/A

Not tried that one, but how is the logging on the firewall?

How much does it cost?

The logging is a concern, since I have a few connections which update every second and my viruses checker works in real-time, thus it picks every change up and slows my pc right down and I don't need to log it.

Cheers,

Aaron

Ps is there a free or Beta version I can try?
N/A

Re: Firewall Software - Recomendations

I use Kerio Personal Firewall. It is by far the best software firewall I have ever used (much better than Zone Alarm).

I have used this firewall exclusively,and if you go to http://www.geocities.com/yosponge/checklist.html and download one of the rulesets there,number 2 is recommended,although I am using an earlier version of number 3,which to give some idea of how secure it is I have to actually disable a number of it's rules to enable the wifes machine to contact Microsoft to update Windows.I should imagine that it not be a hard job to send a copy of the ruleset I use to anyone that wanted it,but maybe the No 2 set now does the same job.

Well worth a look at I feel.To answer "gadgetboys" question I believe it is still free: it has been a number of years since I downloaded it :-)

Ian & Linda Jordan