cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Firefox

In my home computing history, I've used most of the Microsoft operating systems, only briefly becoming aquainted with V3.1, then moving to W95 (as it was free with my old Pentium 75 ughh!!) through 98, 98SE, Me, 2000 and finally XP home.

At the start of dabbling with the internet, to the derision of my computer using family and friends, I used and stayed with a web browser called Netscape for a quite long time, while the rest of the world moved on to the various versions of IE, and never having any real trouble with it (I still have one of those Netscape mugs with a rubber base) I only have a vague recollection of the Netscape version numbers, but I think the last I used was V5.5, but maybe wrong, before joining the throng with IE.

In the latter stages, I recall that Netscape had a bit of a re-name that included Mozilla...is the current Firefox OS a direct decendent of Netscape?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES
Rich
Grafter

Firefox

That's right. Firefox was developed after Netscape released the source code under an open source license. See here for more details...

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/firefox5.htm
Community Veteran

Firefox

Yes, thanks for that, there are times when I wish I'd stayed with Netscape, indeed there are times when I think staying with Win2000SE would have been an even better idea...but too late now.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
lingbob
Grafter

Firefox

Netscape is still available, I think it's at version 8 now.

I looked at it a while ago and it now has the choice of using either the Firefox or the IE rendering engine.

Perhaps you should have a look Smiley

Martin
Community Veteran

Firefox

Thanks Bitzbox, but having changed to Firefox (see Malicious Spyware posting) I think I'll stay where I am now ta! I've stripped IE back to it's bare essentials (no toolbars, history or favorites etc.) and set Windows Update as the home page, as it's still necessary to get them.